ATX Community

INDIVIDUAL 1099

Marie

When filing 1099 for individual, it can't be created without filing out the filing status.  and if you select MFJ, it asks for spouse's SS#

If I leave as company information, I can't use the SS# as my identification number.  Error says it must be EIN

What does filing status have to do with 1099's?

I can enter the SSN this way on the Company Info Info sheet, but it generates a red error in the payroll program and won't let me create an efile.  As Marie states, if I use the Individual Info sheet, I can enter an SSN for the payer, but ATX then demands a filing status (and spouse info if I pick MFJ or MFS).  I think my plan for these (payers without an EIN) is to use the Individual Info sheet, and select Single for the filing status.  The paper 1099-MISC does not show filing status anywhere, there is no mention of filing status in the 1099-Misc instructions, and I'd be shocked to learn that filing status is included in the efile, though I can't prove it.  The 1040 filing status is not even necessarily known by the deadline for the 1099-MISC.

I am using the ATX Payroll Compliance program.  FDNY, did you have any payers without an EIN, so you had to use their SSN?  Those are what we are talking about.  If you had no problem with those, did you use the Company Info sheet or the Individual Info sheet?  I cannot create an efile if I use the Company Info sheet (because "The EIN is not valid").  If I use the Individual Info sheet, I need to pick a filing status (for no good reason that I can see).  Marie, I agree it is wrong. 

Thanks.  I don't understand it.  When I fill out the Individual Info sheet, I have to select a filing status or else I get a red error and cannot create an efile.  Not the end of the world, I will just select Single as the status, which apparently doesn't get reported anywhere, but does let me create the efile.