ATX Community

Horrible Customer Service

LTA

I never imagine that I will be forced to write on a blog how terrible ATX CS has become, but due to a lack support I feel as if I have no other choice .

1st, I started to have problems with the ATX software after a pop up came up ans requested me to download

IntallShield Wizard for ATX 2018--

18.1.0 Update

The InstallShield(R) Wizard will Update ATX 2018 to version 18.1.0 on the computer. Click Install

So I click Install and the installation apparently went thru.

After the installation every time I open ATX 2018 the program will stop and shot down after its usual form update. the following day I tried to open ATX and the program will not open at all.

I call CS, waited 1hr and 37 minutes for someone to answer my call, stayed with the technician for well over 2 hrs and he was not able to resolve the issue. 

After he gave up and blame it on my computer the case was closed.

Luckily I still had the installation download in my computer,  I initiated the Installation download the only choice it gave me was to "Uninstall the ATX program" so I did, risking losing the data of the returns I had already done. After the ATX program was "Uninstalled" I re-installed it again and to my surprise my work was not deleted, now the proble is that when I open ATX I have to work with the update form window always open because if I press the close button it will close the program.

I am so disappointing with ATX that I am truly considering another program with BETTER CS 

Is there anybody out there having the same issue?

2 hours ago, ETax847 said:

Anyone else think ATX should hire Jack as a customer service rep? He is much more timely with his responses and much more helpful.

They won't hire me.  My mindset is not like theirs.  I have attempted to get hired, to help design the software, and teach "Customer Service" employees how to be "Customer Service" employees.  

• Like 1

The tech should not have made any assumptions...  In two hours, they should have done a remote session and checked out the basics, such as current with all OS updates, and a current OS (not XP or older, and soon, not 7).

The OP has to take on some of the responsibility for this situation. Preparing taxes means one has some very personal data which must be kept safe.  That means having all current OS updates, using a current OS, is a MUST.  The tech should still have asked, but sometimes I too forget that my customers do not always make wise choices.  "blame it on my computer" is a terrible way of saying it, but essentially is correct, that the OP's computer was not up to date.  The software vendor should also have a preinstall check for required system information... I do not use IS at present, but when I did, they have options and the ability top check for anything preinstall.

Thank you all.............

I update windows and everything is running fine.

Unfortunately ATX CS has gone south, far south,

For us Tax prepares and CPA's in the start of tax season to have an issue with the program and have to wait over 1 hour to get CS is counter productive

and on top of that to have inadequate support makes it even worse.

If CCH does not solve this issue fast I have a feeling that nanny of us will be departing  soon, probably this season or next season

Thank you all for your support

No thanks to ATX CS.

3 minutes ago, LTA said:

I update windows and everything is running fine.

This part of the issue is "on you", for the reasons I already mentioned.  Before you expend energy and money on switching, consider the reasons you are using the software you are, and how you must adjust your methods of keeping safe and current, which would have prevented this particular issue.  No software will have 100% flawless CS results, be bug free, etc.  Humans are imperfect, and humans make and use software.

If you like the software you are using, send an email with your experience, and suggest they update their installer settings to check for required items so no one else has the same issue.

I have no idea if they charge for support, but having two hours of support time is... wasting your time in most cases.  If something cannot be fixed in five or ten minutes, ask to escalate, or for someone else to try.  A CS person is not likely to stumble on a fix after a few minutes, and candidly, is wasting your time and theirs if they keep stumbling around.  If they will not escalate, then ask for a written response within a certain reasonable amount of time, so you have documentation of the issue.

Note.  I have no skin in this one, since I am not the software developer, nor do I use any of their products.  I am merely sharing my experience from the other side.  For this particular issue, you failed in your responsibility to your clients, to keep your computer up to date and as safe as possible.  To me, this mistake is the glaring issue, whether or not the software was working.  Thankfully, you have realized the issue, and hopefully not repeat it, and that your customer data was not compromised by your mistake.

• Like 2

I had to google how to find your .net framework version. :)

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/framework/migration-guide/how-to-determine-which-versions-are-installed

Does anyone know an easier way? Because this seems nuts.

Edit: This seems more sane and is guaranteed to make you look and feel like a real techie:

There is an easier way to get the exact version .NET version installed on your machine from a cmd prompt. Just follow the following instructions;

Open the command prompt (i.e Windows + R → type "cmd").

Type the following command, all on one line:

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP

Sorry:

There is an easier way to get the exact version .NET version installed on your machine from a cmd prompt. Just follow the following instructions;

1. Open the command prompt (i.e Windows + R → type "cmd").
  2. Type the following command, all on one line:

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP"

(This will list all the .NET versions.)

1. If you want to check the latest .NET 4 version.
  2. Type following instruction, on a single line:

reg query "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\NET Framework Setup\NDP\v4\full" /v version

It should be kept updated as part of the normal Windows update process.

The last time I used a development tool which required additional items, the additional items were still reasonable small enough to include.  I do not use .net, but from what I have seen, it is too large to include, but can be installed as part of any properly done setup/install (and InstallShield is the 800lb gorilla of setup programs).  This is where ATX failed...

I have 4.7.03062 on Win8 but I have the correct DWORD (461814):

On Windows 10 Creators Update only: 460798

On all other OS versions: 460805
.NET Framework 4.7
On Windows 10 Fall Creators Update only: 461308

On all other OS versions: 461310
.NET Framework 4.7.1
On Windows 10 April 2018 Update only: 461808

On all other OS versions, including Windows 10 October 2018 Update: 461814
.NET Framework 4.7.2

21 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I have 4.7.03062 on Win8 but I have the correct DWORD (461814):

On Windows 10 Creators Update only: 460798

On all other OS versions: 460805
.NET Framework 4.7
On Windows 10 Fall Creators Update only: 461308

On all other OS versions: 461310
.NET Framework 4.7.1
On Windows 10 April 2018 Update only: 461808

On all other OS versions, including Windows 10 October 2018 Update: 461814
.NET Framework 4.7.2

I see 4.7.03056 on my computer.  What is DWORD?  I don't see the numbers for DWORD.

22 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

It should be kept updated as part of the normal Windows update process.

Lately, part of the normal Windows update process is a chance that your OS will no longer be in a bootable state upon completion (or half-completion) of the installation, with potential for data loss.

Keeping your system updated is important, but it's hard to blame the average person for being leery of updates given Microsoft's recent track record.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Eric said:

it's hard to blame the average person for being leery of updates given Microsoft's recent track record

That's why I am still using Windows 7 (64bit pro) and wait several days to install updates.  Too many times there have been updates where suddenly computers won't boot, or all the printers drivers seize up, or other untenable result.

• Like 4

No kidding! I had a Windows 7 update mess up all of the versions of my QuickBooks. It cost me hours of everyone blaming each other and I finally had to update eveyone to QB 2019. I am sitting on an update right now, because I saw some on the other ATX board say that ATX was blaming an update for problems and I'm scared to update, because mine is working fine. 

• Like 1

I just stopped using W7, in preparation for end of W7 life.  I have plenty of backups and options, so a failure caused by any reason, even an OS update, is only a minor interruption.  My W7 setup sits dutifully waiting to be plugged and and used in case of disaster.  My older XP box is now retiring to storage, which can be accessed in a few minutes.  I rely on these for fastest recovery, as they are already setup to restore from my online backups.  To be perfectly candid, I switched to a new box at the most inopportune time, as usual, as I wanted to expense it for 2018, and could not deal with looking at the new box without "using" it.  It took me probably 30 minutes to load what I needed immediately, and a couple of hours (overnight) to load the rest of my usual items and data.  It will take me small amounts of time, over the course of a month, to make it "mine", but no rush.

All the issues with any sort of corruption, update fail, computer damage or computer grows feet,  can be minimized by proper backup and recovery processes... I'd rather spend my time building and maintaining a recovery process than worrying or complaining about what "could" happen.  Stuff can and will happen, I cannot change that.

What I am saying in lengthy form is for me, no outside force will ever be able to interrupt me for more than a few hours.  With that said, worrying about the inevitable glitches is a waste of my time, and is better spent on preparation and testing my recovery process.  I used to "hate" moving computers, now it is no big deal at all - tested recently by evacuation for fire/smoke (twice) and changing to a new computer.

• Like 4