ATX Community

COMPARISON FORM?

BLACK BART

I hate to ask such a dumb question to this learned group, but I don't want to spend an hour and a half on ATX' jiffy-quick support line, so can someone please point me to the "Comparison Form" referred to inside the ATX program.  When you open a client's return and go to the bottom of the page where "Main Iinformation Worksheet" is located and punch it, a form comes up with a square blue box that says "Please review the comparison form to ensure that you have reported all income and deduction amounts for this taxpayer."   Where is that form?

Since a bomb was dropped on our old 1040 and idiotically exploded into six different "postcards" of incomes, credit, taxes, etc., I was hoping that there would be a non-filing summary sheet somewhere that would let you see if all the different items have been entered without having to go through all the postcards (sort of an unofficial 1040 to look at and save time).  Is that what this blue box refers to?  And if so, where is it? Any advice would be appreciated.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, schirallicpa said:

I will quote you all season.

Thanx schirall (feel free - no royalties due on any hogwash I come up with) and thanks to NEC & Marg for the replies (I have looked it up and you are correct; it's not available yet).

It just sunk in to me though that I was misunderstanding the whole purpose of the form.  First, I was looking for a form number, so didn't think to look alphabetically under the words following the IRS form numbers in the "Add Forms" list.  Secondly, I though it was a 2018 only double-check to see if anything was overlooked this year.  Then I realized that it's only a comparison of year to year income tax results.  Fortunately though, after playing around with my first tax return I realized that most of what income items were on page one of the old 1040 are now on page two of this year's return, so we won't have to range far and wide to gather all the most common stuff.  

Much obliged, folks.

I've been using this form for several years and include it with the electronic return (or printed for those few) so folks can more readily see how changes in their income and deductions from last year resulted in the current year's higher or lower taxes.  I wish there was a comparable form for the state but those fluctuations aren't as obvious any way. It tends to forestall some questions from clients.

• Like 2