ATX Community

Why Me Lord ?

Christian

A longtime client who is in his 50's and divorced has come in with (for me) is a unique problem. His 36 yoa unemployed girlfriend who was kicked from her rental has taken up residence with him since June 2018. She has three children under the age of seventeen who came along with her. The client has an income of some 14,000 or so dollars and of course wants to claim the entire batch. They are on public assistance (food stamps and likely the CHIP program) and she receives some support from the two men who fathered her brood. Frankly, I have never encountered anything quite like this. None of these people are related to my client. How do I determine exactly if he can claim them. If memory serves me public assistance does not effect his claiming them but child support payments likely would. Any input is appreciated. I am tempted to send him to H&R Block but he is a longtime client so I must give it a shot.  

I have ruled them out for 2018. If they live with him all of 2019 and the couple remains unmarried I don't see how he would qualify for any tax advantage such as the CTC, EIC, and the like but time will tell. I am hoping she will just take a powder before then. With my luck she will still be hanging around. He has a real penchant for these winners.

• Like 3

with the new regulations, he will only benefit about $200 if he makes 14K in 2019, if ANY. He will need to marry that lady and then he will benefit. The year is young, why don't you suggest your client to send her to work and make 15K, which is not hard to do and then he will have no motivations to claim any one.

• Like 1

Yesterday I contacted my long established client to advise he could not claim his girlfriend's children as stepchildren since they are not married but said he may review the matter next year if they have lived with him for twelve months or if he marries her ( I did not advise on this). He seemed satisfied with this and hung up. About ten minutes later he called back and said to hold up on everything he would be coming by to collect his information. He offered payment for what I had done but wanted a second opinion (likely from his young girlfriend) who among her talents has birthed three children with three different fathers. It will be interesting to hear how this one plays out as I can well imagine one of those daddies claiming his kid on his return. If the Service takes a close look it could really be fun. What do y'all think?

• Haha 4

I got this first thing this morning.

"I've been using your payroll program for about 5 years now and I am getting complaints from my clients about the taxes taken out for their employees checks.  The employees are saying that the taxes are too low.  I do all the updates when needed and I am not sure why it's not taking out the correct taxes. Please help.  My clients are angry."

This person is doing payroll for others and not aware of withholding being "Trumped".  I know many do not keep current, so I have sent several messages during the year linking to the IRS calculators, and just a few days ago, to the new publication employers can hand out!.  Then, when I proved our calculations are perfect, they got miffed that I called them on their statement, and claimed they said no such thing (see bold italic item in the above quote), and were actually complimenting me!

The net result is they are now an ex customer, and are likely scrambling to locate and setup something before their next client payroll.  (Life is too short...)
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Lion EA said:

I've told clients that I love them but will not go to jail for them. If in person, a hug or arm around their shoulders as you walk them to the door helps, too.

I've said the same, but also that I will not lose my profession for them - unless they're willing to support me for the rest of my life?  Gee, they back down fast!

• Like 4