ATX Community

HOH CRAZINESS

mrichman333

So a client calls me and says his girlfriend and her kids moved in with him and he pays 51% of the cost of keeping up the house hold, "So I can file as Head of Household, right"  I say HOH is really for single parents... he says but were not married.  As we went back and forth and I looked at pub.501 I can see how he thought that, or is it me that is missunderstanding

5 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

Not unless her kids are his kids.  If only hers they do not qualify him for head of household.

Not so fast... I like the answer "Who's yo daddy?".

Let's not assume and ask our clients. One time I had a similar situation... a client told me: "my girlfriend moved to my house with her two children and I pay more than half to upkeep the house". After a few questions a couple of questions I said "You do qualify for HOH".

When I asked "who was the father of the children?" he replied... "my brother".

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, JohnH said:

A man finds it very easy to misunderstand something when he senses that understanding it is going to cost him money.

I had to read this a few times, and thought about my past, and it definitely rings true!  Then I grew up.

• Like 3