ATX Community

ATX not defaulting to default printer

claycpa

Apologies if this is covered somewhere else.  I have set my printer up under report manager in ATX.  I have also established the printer used to print tax returns as the main default printer in windows.  However, ATX continues to default to the WRONG printer (in this case the printer that is used to print postage!!).  Any help would be appreciated!  

I'm not sure what you're doing.  I go to File/Change Printer and set my printer (my paper printer).  When hitting the print button, my File copy printer is set to the printer I set under Change Printer (paper printer for client copy).  Under Print button, for preparer copy, I change it to my pdf printer.

I don't see a "FILE" dropdown menu in ATX Tax software. In "Return Manager", I can click on the "returns" drop down menu and then go into "change printer".  I'm referring to ATX tax preparation software. Sorry but I'm not sure where in that program you are doing what you said above.

2 hours ago, claycpa said:

I don't see a "FILE" dropdown menu in ATX Tax software. In "Return Manager", I can click on the "returns" drop down menu and then go into "change printer".  I'm referring to ATX tax preparation software. Sorry but I'm not sure where in that program you are doing what you said above.

Sorry, yes under Returns.  It's the first tab far left.  In other software, that's usually 'File'.  I sent that off the top of my head.

Printer driver information tends to "grow" in the Windows registry, meaning it is not cleaned up upon removal or reinstall.  If all else fails, and you are comfortable doing so, remove all printers from Windows, then edit the registry to remove all traces of printers, then reinstall your current printer.

1 minute ago, Abby Normal said:

See? This is why I always print everything to PDF first.

PDF does not always accurately reflect the designed output.  Font substitution and line weights can be an issue, as can shrink and stretch.  For most items, such as storage or non critical documents, no issue, but if the item it to be later printed and has requirements to meet (such as a tax form) caution is advised.

51 minutes ago, Medlin Software said:

PDF does not always accurately reflect the designed output.  Font substitution and line weights can be an issue, as can shrink and stretch.  For most items, such as storage or non critical documents, no issue, but if the item it to be later printed and has requirements to meet (such as a tax form) caution is advised.

Never had a problem in 20 years of doing it this way.