ATX Community

Transfer ATX database to new PC

aforrest

Greetings group -

Forgive the naive question here, but....

Bought a new PC this offseason and about to install ATX2018. I'm a solo office and install the program as "standalone" not on a server.

I read this article and watched the video... https://support.cch.com/kb/solution.aspx/000048812

Is the process the same for standalone installs? The article/video mentions stopping the ATX service/server on both the old and new PC.  But I don't have ATX installed yet on the new PC. I'm really just wanting to be able to rollover returning client data.

A bit confused and appreciate any insight.

Thanks!

AF

Yes the process is the same regardless of the type of setup. If you don't have ATX installed on the new computer, then you can skip the step about stopping the server service on the new computer.

People may advise you to just export/import or backup/restore, but those are poor choices when compared to doing it properly.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

People may advise you to just export/import or backup/restore, but those are poor choices when compared to doing it properly.

Hey!   I resemble that remark!  But seriously, I did not know there was a "proper" way to do it.   I got new computers this year and installed the software for 3 years as clean installs, exported my returns from the old computer, imported to the new.   Everything is rolling forward properly from 17 to 18 so far.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1