ATX Community

1099-misc - printing ONLY payees needed, not all

Pacun

Yes, but if you only need to print one copy for one contract worker (not employee!) because they lost it already, you can use the tabs at the bottom to pick the page you want to print on the person you want to print it for, and do the page print function.  Tedious if you want more than one but not all.  And I think that if you are printing copy A it prints both of the people that would be on that page.

You can still check (or in this case uncheck) the contractors to print, but only on the Detail tab, all the way to the right.  The PDF trick only works for a single contractor if you print your 1099s on the UniForm, which I guess is allowed, but looks strange to me.  All the traditional 1099 Copy A, B, C, 1, 2 forms print two contractors per page.

It used to be easy to print only certain 1099s. Now you have to print them all. So, (Let's say) I am preparing 1099s for UBER, my database consists of 10K subcontractors. This year only 5K had income but the other 5K will work this year, so I don't want to delete any of them. I will have to print 10K 1099s and then get my scissors and look of the ones with salary and cut. A week later, I have 100 subcontractors who lost their 1099s and again I will have to print 10K forms.

The pdf workaround is a longgg workaround.

Paul, I reread your post and I think you found the solution.

53 minutes ago, Pacun said:

Yes, there is.

I am a dishwasher at a restaurant and I get a W-2 and I also fix their computers and get a 1099-misc

In this scenario, if the computer fixing happened simultaneously with being a restaurant employee, regs say the computer fixing is W -2 wages.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cbslee said:

In this scenario, if the computer fixing happened simultaneously with being a restaurant employee, regs say the computer fixing is W -2 wages.

What is simultaneously? 

Let's say I am a dishwasher and I left my shift at 3PM and at 7PM computers go down and I go back to fix them? Will I get my $5K that I will charge on my W-2? I spent 5 hours fixing the computers. When dish washing the restaurant pays me $15 per hour. So how many hours will the employer pay to get to $5K? Will that be bonus on my W-2?

How about if during my day off, they don't want to call computergeeks and they call me and again I spent 5 hours and charge them 5K? 

How about if I am on a month vacation and I am call back on day 15th to fix my employer's computers?

What if I am laid off for 5 months (March 1st, to August 1st) while the restaurant is being remodeled and in month 3, they call me to fix their computers?

How about if I quit on March 15th and they call me back to fix their computers two days later? While fixing their computers the employer convince me to get back to my previous position and I agree to return to work as a dishwasher and I restart my employment the following day?

How about if I finish my dishwasher shift at 3PM but at two 2PM my employer asks me to punch out and to fix their computers? I go to my van and pick up my tools and start fixing their computer.

Keep in mind that everyday after my dishwasher shift ends at 3PM, I start my van and go to fix computers as Pacunlovescomputers sole proprietorship. 

• Like 1

Do you have a business license for your computer repair service, insurance, signs on your van, employees of your own, other required permits and licenses, other clients, can you send someone else in your place, control when you do the work, etc.?  Do you get a separate check, not written from payroll software, with no payroll type check stub (even if the stub is blank)?

For the non-employee: Do you have business insurance to take care of your final expenses and your family in the future - since you could get electrocuted?  Your non-employer has none for you, so if you failed to act like a business, and your estate is wise enough to go after your non-employer, those you left behind have to hope your non-employer has deep pockets and/or good umbrella insurance.

For the non-employer: Defending their position as a non-employer will be more costly, even assuming a victory, than managing your services as an employer employee relationship.  And the odds are the court/jury will not favor you.

"Course of employment" is not something to take lightly.  While this old time issue (employee/contractor) is well known (and often ignored), the "new" issue is home based / remote employees and the employer's liability for the actions of the remote employee during CoE.  The most recent case I was perusing was an employee's child hurt in the home office space, and the employer had no workplace policy (such as no kids) in place...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Pacun said:

What is simultaneously? 

Let's say I am a dishwasher and I left my shift at 3PM and at 7PM computers go down and I go back to fix them? Will I get my $5K that I will charge on my W-2? I spent 5 hours fixing the computers. When dish washing the restaurant pays me $15 per hour. So how many hours will the employer pay to get to $5K? Will that be bonus on my W-2?

How about if during my day off, they don't want to call computergeeks and they call me and again I spent 5 hours and charge them 5K? 

How about if I am on a month vacation and I am call back on day 15th to fix my employer's computers?

What if I am laid off for 5 months (March 1st, to August 1st) while the restaurant is being remodeled and in month 3, they call me to fix their computers?

How about if I quit on March 15th and they call me back to fix their computers two days later? While fixing their computers the employer convince me to get back to my previous position and I agree to return to work as a dishwasher and I restart my employment the following day?

How about if I finish my dishwasher shift at 3PM but at two 2PM my employer asks me to punch out and to fix their computers? I go to my van and pick up my tools and start fixing their computer.

Keep in mind that everyday after my dishwasher shift ends at 3PM, I start my van and go to fix computers as Pacunlovescomputers sole proprietorship. 

You have a real talent for embellishing your story 😋

• Haha 1

This is the first time I hear you need a license to fix computers. In any event, I just wanted to know what simultaneously meant in this context. 

Insurance??? Let's say I am a dish washer living under a bridge, do you think I need to get insurance in case they sue me and and they come after my bridge?

My employer only controls my time when I am a dishwasher and he didn't trained me to fix computers. Those two alone are big enough to prove I am not an employee when I wear different hats.

How about if besides being a dish washer and fixing their computers, I have a PTIN (that's all) and I am preparing the taxes for the business. Will preparing taxes be part of my dish washer duties and therefore I am an employee?

• Haha 1