ATX Community

I just want to complain

Janitor Bob

Dammit!  Not having MFS/MFJ Comparison and OH RITA-37 is really making my life more difficult right now.  I would like somebody to fix the situation.  I'm paying $1,800 for software so I can manually check MFS vs MFJ the "old" way (by duplicating the joint and modifying it into two MFS returns) and filling out RITA-37 returns via the RITA web site.  It really grinds my gears.

Rant Over

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Angry 1

I use the General City form for all municipalities.

It has been my experience, that the MFJ-MFS comparison was only dependable about 50% of the time.  I have learned to split, and calculate both as filing separately, in about 15 minutes.  Then I have all three returns open at the same time, so I can do actual, real time comparisons.

1 hour ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

I thought it was not possible to use the General City form for RITA.  I hate that form by the way.  And it is now 'improved.' It is also annoying that suddenly last year ATX decided it wasn't a regular municipal form that could be e-filed.  Nickels and dimes...

All municipalities, MUST accept the general form.

Right, but RITA isn't, as you know, a municipality.  It is Regional Income Tax Agency collecting for many municipalities.  Locally, for example, Silverton utilizes RITA and does not have the ability to collect its own taxes.I just dread the time when munis mandate electronic tax payments.  I believe OSCPAs is really pushing for everything to be centralized, which admittedly has some appeal.  It wasn't great when one contractor client I had was required to file 27, yes, 27 different local returns.  I had General City Returns up the wazoo (technical term).  Glad when I fired him.

Well, dang!  I shall ignore instructions and go for this now.  It will make my life easier, for sure.  Guess I wasn't bold enough once Silverton did this: Questions regarding the new tax code should be directed to the Regional Income Tax Agency (RITA). and this: EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2008 THE VILLAGE OF SILVERTON EARNINGS TAX IS ADMINISTERED BY THE REGIONAL INCOME TAX AGENCY (RITA).   I did just reread the tax code effective January 1, 2016, and it does, indeed, state a generic return will be accepted.

Many thanks, Jack!  I hate the RITA return, did I say that already?

• Like 3

On 2/7/2019 at 3:20 PM, Jack from Ohio said:

This has been the case, since municipalities started collecting tax.  I put the name of the appropriate city on the return, and then send it to RITA.  It works for me.

Just be aware that more and more I have clients living in RITA municipalities and working in (and having tax withheld for) non RITA municipalities.  Some RITA municipalities do not reciprocate...so client must pay RITA even though they already had local tax withheld for the work city.  As much as I hate the RITA form, it is good at pointing out when this is the case. 

• Like 1

Question on RITA.  Client is a resident of one RITA municipality and works in another RITA municipality.  Employer withholds local tax for the his work location.  His resident municipality requires an individual return and tax for his resident location and gives no credit for payment to another RITA municipality where his work location is.  The work location municipality does have a credit for tax paid to another RITA municipality.  Is he just out of luck, paying to two municipalities or can he file a separate RITA return and claim a credit for the part of the tax withheld.  Is the RITA return just for the resident municipality and he's stuck living in a municipality that gives no credit for his work location tax withheld?

Randall, that's why I really hate the RITA form.  Well, and for a few other reasons, too.  Perhaps the answer is to do as Jack suggests and file the generic return for his residence muni.  If the residence muni does not give credit for other tax paid, I think he may be SOL.  There are a number of small munis in the Cincinnati area and residents and employers with the same problem.  Many allow credit for the workplace tax withheld, but not all.  I guess one just has to understand the rules when choosing where to live and work.

I doubt just filing a RITA return will give the result you seek.  Work through the form but it probably recognizes who gives credit and who doesn't.

It would seem to me that it may not be necessary to file the RITA return as taxpayer has no choice in employee tax withheld so no filing obligation to that RITA muni.  I am assuming that you mean the return you did shows the residence muni tax owed and needed estimates since no workplace credit. 

I think it costs extra to efile the RITA from ATX. 

I don't think the RITA return is available yet in ATX.  The General City return shows a place for the credit.  But the instructions to the RITA return says Milford requires a return and there is no credit for tax withheld and paid to Lockland (work location).  Besides his W2, wife has a home business with 7k profit on Sch C.  It appears to me Milford wants their 1% because of residence and Lockland wants their 2.1% because of work location.

48 minutes ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

I do have a client in Milford who takes their documents, including for Sch. C from the 1040, to the tax office.  The tax folks there prepare it for free. Work city for spouse withholds workplace tax (Cincinnati).  No credit anywhere, alas.

Thanks for the info.  At least I know there's no way around it.  Ugh.  Are you referring to the City of Milford tax office?