ATX Community

DC Tax liability calculation is wrong

Pacun

DC is sending letters because there is $1, $2, or three dollars difference in favor of the Taxpayer between the tax liability from ATX vs DC's calculation. It is annoying that people are receiving the letter. I thought it was an isolated case but about 50% of the people are getting the letter.

There are three problems with DC calculations. 

1.- DC Software truncates but I have been ignoring cents when entering withholdings for DC, so that my clients don't receive those letters.
2.- The paper table reads: If taxable income is $17000 - $17050, then tax is 580. ATX does exactly that but if the taxable income is $17004, then DC computer says the tax is 578. If the taxable income is $17,015, then DC computer says tax is $579. I have not seen where DC says, you owe $581 or $582, which will be against the tax payer.
3.- DC sends a "Correction Letter", stating... You requested 110 refund but your refund will be 111. When you enter $10.99 as eleven dollars for withholding, then the client gets a "Correction Letter" stating that the tax payer is getting 1 dollar less.

I told ATX that maybe DC expects that software companies be granular and NOT follow the paper instructions but rather calculate tax liabilities in increments of $1, versus $3 dollars increments. 

Error number three is the worst I have seen. People rather receiving one dollar less vs receiving that letter. The first thing that comes to mind for them is that PACUN doesn't know how to prepare taxes.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Pacun said:

The first thing that comes to mind for them is that PACUN doesn't know how to prepare taxes.

Warn them ahead of time that the DC computers are completely bolluxed up, and waste time and money sending letters about $1 - $3 discrepancies that the computers themselves create out of thin air?

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

I've seen a couple of those in the last few years.  The clients always call, and we always laugh about it.  

It becomes a laughable matter when you see the contents of the letter but most people panic when they see an envelope from the IRS.

• Like 2

If I got a bill for $-0- I might be tempted to send them a check for $-0- just to see what happened.  Or if the ill is for $1, I'd send them a $1 check AND a dollar bill with a note saying if they want to keep the dollar bill, please send the check back to me. But I wouldn't advise a client to do that... 

• Haha 1