ATX Community

Dependent or not?

Janitor Bob

client's 26-year old daughter moved from parent/client in OH to PA to attend college in 2017 and has not returned home since...full-time student in 2018 with a part-time job.  received no support from parents.  lived with boyfriend's parents all of 2018.  Parent/clients were hoping to claim her on their return to get AOC, but I told them that either daughter should file on her own and claim herself and AOC or boyfriend's parents should claim her as dependent and claim AOC...as I suspect value of housing/utilities are more than 50% of daughter's total support. Am I correct in my thinking?  Boyfriend's parents already filed and did not claim daughter as a dependent...so daughter should claim herself and AOC...correct?

3 minutes ago, EricF said:

Agree since the parents provided no support; support is a requirement for dependent status.  If they provided more than half her support, the daughter could be a dependent as a qualifying relative, as long as she did not have more than $4,150 gross income.

I just looked at daughter's W-2 and she made $13,126...so she will certainly claim herself and AOC.

• Like 1