ATX Community

ATX - program not working like it used to

LEOPINTAX

52 minutes ago, LEOPINTAX said:

Does any one else think that the program does not work like it used to? Is it only me? My computer is new and I was told by ATX that it is not printing properly because they target computers that are old. How about that! Any other ideas?

What a bunch of bovine excement !  The person that told you that should be flogged in public.

1. Can you print the return to a pdf file first, then print the return from the pdf copy?

2.Is the printing of returns O K after rebooting your computer, then you run into problems several returns later ?

There is more depending on your answers.

1 hour ago, LEOPINTAX said:

Does any one else think that the program does not work like it used to? Is it only me? My computer is new and I was told by ATX that it is not printing properly because they target computers that are old. How about that! Any other ideas?

Out of curiosity, what are the specs of your computer?  

A couple of years ago, non-returning tax client were told the HVAC they had installed qualified them for the energy credit, I said sure, send me the make and model number and I will look it up on energystar.gov.  I could not find it, so I voluntary  called the manufacture, gave them the serial number and they said this model is X years old and was discontinued X years ago, but was brand new.

1. Was your new computer off the shelf or did you have it built?
  2. Are there a lot of programs installed that you don't need?
  3. Are there a lot of programs starting at boot that you don't need running?
  4. Is there printer software installed? If yes, uninstall it.
  5. Does turning off your antivirus or other security software solve the printing problem?
  6. Are you running Win10 Pro or Home?

I have seen a lot of people complaining about printing issues, but we only print to PDF and have never had an issue is 7 years.

We have a Brother all in one printer and after a few windows updates. The some PC's did not see the printer as default and other would "send" the file to the printer queue and it would sit there. I finally downloaded the Brother software (which has the print drivers and some other things for the scanning and such) and have not had an issue with printing again (knock on wood). 

So, I would suggest see if your printer has specific software or print drivers. Because the default ones that windows puts out are good but something along the way causes them to stop working.

One "common" issue, with printing, is the Windows Registry containing/retaining invalid printer information.  There may be some sort of printer clean up tool (I have no idea), as I manually clean up the printer section from time to time.

For most, uninstalling ALL printers, then reinstalling just the printer(s) you are currently using, will get things going again.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Medlin Software said:

One "common" issue, with printing, is the Windows Registry containing/retaining invalid printer information.  There may be some sort of printer clean up tool (I have no idea), as I manually clean up the printer section from time to time.

For most, uninstalling ALL printers, then reinstalling just the printer(s) you are currently using, will get things going again.

I have that problem but uninstalling a re-installing didn't work.  ATX did show me a work around and it only happens when I first open ATX.  

The manual method is to use the Windows registry editor's search/find function.  Some of the places to look (directly):

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Printers

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Devices

\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\PrinterPorts

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers

If you delete a bit of printer information you need, you can reinstall the printer.  The issue is printer software not having a complete proper uninstall.  (For instance, while searching for the common registry locations, I found remnants of Microsoft XPS printer, which I never use and had already uninstalled.)

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Abby Normal said:

Because the government doesn't want paper returns in duplex. 

But the politicians told us it would be a postcard.   The whole idea of a postcard is it is one piece of paper.   Don't tell me those people in DC lied to us about the PostCard 1040.   It will shatter my faith in government! (dripping with sarcasm if you could not tell).

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Haha 1

Forms a tax agency supplies in duplex can generally be reproduced in duplex, BUT...

I also restrict the use of duplex on certain forms.  The reason?  We have no control over the quality of paper and printer.  Forms which the scanner rejects are subject to penalties, and my approval status (as a form preparer) can be stopped because of too many rejects...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My computer is only one year old and was the top of the line at the time. I do have printer issues. Atx told me its because the program was written for older computers so the newer computers it gives printer problems. My partner's computer is 3 years old (windows 10) and his computer has the printer issues and this week it's the program needs to close all of the sudden in the middle of a return.

Haven't been able to print with proseries all season, they post the usual bs response that its our computers.  Its a 32bit issue, I have 64 bit, so then its a 64bit issue but with a different fix than the 32bit fix they posted. You all know the drill, its your system, its your anti-virus, its another program causing it. Then they log into mine and say, wow you could run nasa with your equipment.  Now finally 3/9 they state that they tracked the issue as a microsoft issue and microsoft will have an update 3/19.  Luckily i have been able to print to pdf and then print.

Bottom line, all software is having issues this year and customer service is just "cover out butts" service.

By the way, even lacerte which i also use isn't calculating the 8990 which is holding up all of our real estate returns.  I think we sent out about 50 of our 2000 returns. Biggest issue will be a very busy summer and lack of cash flow now. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, michaelmars said:

Haven't been able to print with proseries all season, they post the usual bs response that its our computers.  Its a 32bit issue, I have 64 bit, so then its a 64bit issue but with a different fix than the 32bit fix they posted. You all know the drill, its your system, its your anti-virus, its another program causing it. Then they log into mine and say, wow you could run nasa with your equipment.  Now finally 3/9 they state that they tracked the issue as a microsoft issue and microsoft will have an update 3/19.  Luckily i have been able to print to pdf and then print.

Bottom line, all software is having issues this year and customer service is just "cover out butts" service.

By the way, even lacerte which i also use isn't calculating the 8990 which is holding up all of our real estate returns.  I think we sent out about 50 of our 2000 returns. Biggest issue will be a very busy summer and lack of cash flow now. 

Michaelmars...I'm sorry you're having issues, but it is nice to see confirmation that other programs have hiccups as well, not just ATX.  As I've stated previously in this post, ATX is working well for me and has worked well over the past several years.  Let's hope our respective programs have the bugs worked out and we have a smooth rest of the season. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

We don't blame microsoft nearly enough when we have problems. Still slays me that Gates became a billionaire selling this crap!

Yes, him and everyone else in the tech business.  Too much turnover, new versions, paying for it over and over.  I think all updates should be free for at least 5 years.  QB can only go back one version for Accountants Copy.  A new version every year.  Sheesh.  More whistles and bells that most people don't need.  An army of programmers thinking up more and more stuff.

• Like 3