ATX Community

EIC not a dependent

Tax Prep by Deb

I have a client that is in kind of a unique position.  Never been a problem in the past, but those kids grow up and start working and put all kinds of wrinkles in the norm!

Client's son turned 18 and got a job after graduation.  His income is such that he provided more than 1/2 of his own support.  (his income went up, parents went down).  So I am filing him single and not a dependent on someone else's return.

Because of his age, residency, ect… he still qualifies his parent for EIC correct?  Support is not a requirement for EIC and he meets all the other test, I should be able to file him as mentioned above and yet his parent should still be able to claim him for EIC correct?

I do very few EIC returns,  but I believe you are correct.

I just discovered that the IRS has a neat interactive Q & A tool called the "EITC Assistant",

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant time

Give it a try, it only takes a few minutes, which is less time than reading reference materials 👍