ATX Community

Married in October

JohnH

Taxpayer is a single mom with a 15-year-old child, and has always filed HOH.  The taxpayer got married in October 2018.

Taxpayer earns $35K and received $12K in advance payment of premium tax credit.  (Her premium tax credit was reduced in Nov & Dec by about $300 per month after she reported her marriage to her plan).  New spouse earns $28K and was covered all year by a plan with his employer.    He has the option to add taxpayer and her daughter to his plan at work, but did not do so. 

I'm still trying to figure out how to prepare this, but it appears to me that on the joint return they must repay the premium tax credit, but only up to a maximum of $2,600.  Right now her repayment is about $2,200 if I'm doing this right.

Can anyone tell me if that looks right, and assuming I'm providing all the info necessary?  I'm ready to hustle them off to HRB because I don't do much with ACA.  But thought I'd do a spot check here to ask if anyone can give me a quick opinion. 

I gave it a try, but I'm not sure I entered the info correctly.  I'm leaning heavily toward send them to HRB because I don't care to waste lots of time on this.  Would have already done so if this were not the adult daughter of a long-time client.