ATX Community

Form 8867 Certifications

Ringers

I prepared certification forms for my clients to sign who have CTC, ACTC, ODC, or OATC on their tax returens.  I do not have enough HOH or EITC clients to worry about standardized forms.  I have my clients read through the IRS garbage and then sign the certification, which I keep in my file as proof that I tried to be an IRS agent for a few minutes qand grill my clients.  Most of the clients comment about the IRS language, especially about the definition of "dependent" for many of the credits.  It gives them a new perspective of what we have to put up with year after year with more and more clarifications and exceptions to prior definitions.  One client even said "Is the IRS nuts or what?"  I just smiled 😄.

Anyhow, I have attached the forms I produced in case others would like to adopt them or modify them for their use.

CTC, , ODC CERTIFICATION.pdf

AOTC TAX CREDIT CERTIFICATION.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

Ringers, THANKS!  These are, in my opinion, things of beauty.  I so appreciate your willingness to share even as I have only 4-5 that need something like this.  It still irks me that I can't just say that, for example for one family, that I've known them since the kids were babies, one parent and one child even worked for me, we live a block apart, I vouch for them.

• Like 2

I think these are great.  Since there is no date in the text, I would make sure that in addition to being signed that they are also dated.  In addition.I would  add the Tax Year to which it applies.

Otherwise, if a problem arises later, the client could claim it was for a different year.  

• Like 3