ATX Community

Windows 7 Pro

cred65

50 minutes ago, Medlin Software said:

Less than one year from end of Microsoft free support for W7...

Actually, its only the end of free support.

It was only several months ago that the number of Win 10 units exceeded the number of Win 7 units on a worldwide basis.

As a result, Microsoft recently announced three more years of additional support for Win 7 on a paid basis:

Year 1 support - $ 50

Year 2 support - $ 100

Year 3 support - $200.

This old horse is far from dead !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, cbslee said:

Actually, its only the end of free support.

Indeed.

"Less than one year from end of Microsoft free support for W7... "

But for me, no sense throwing good money away.  Unless I foresee my demise, or to not use a Windows 7 OS after early 2020, I have to upgrade.  I actually stopped using my W7 setup a month ago.

I have started to more aggressively warn my customers about using XP/Vista/2000.  Just as when DOS, W3.1,  W95, etc. all did or should have ended, I am getting push back, some quite vocal.  Today's was from someone claiming to be too old to "stay up with the times".  What would you tell this person?  I thought about whether or not to reply, and what my reply would be.

" We are warning that, at any time, something may change which will not allow the software to continue to work on XP.  XP is now FIVE years out of date, so there has been plenty of time to get current.  XP can no longer be considered safe, and should not be used for any data which you cannot afford to have compromised.

In practical terms, you cannot afford not to get current/safe.  Having our cluster mail box broken into last month (home), and seeing what the cost is to neighbors whose W2 forms were stolen, it is as simple as this - It is totally irresponsible to put your employee's data at risk by using a known unsafe operating system on the computer you use to store their data.

While I cannot make anyone follow good practices, I cannot, in good conscious, not warn you.  No one is too old to be safe.  If you are not comfortable keeping current, you should probably consider hiring out your payroll processing and whatever else you do on the outdated and unsafe computer.
"

1 hour ago, Randall said:

Win 10.  Get the latest.

This not a slam dunk decision. There are many many tech articles out there delineating multiple problems with Win 10 updates since last spring.

You can choose to ignore those problems,  but lets's not pretend that Win 10 is trouble free and the best invention since sliced bread!

In fact, a recent Win 10 update had no new features, but was devoted to fixing 77 known problems created by previous Win 10 updates !

• Like 3

I use Win10 on laptop/ not for business. I have not had major issues with Win10. Email and general non business use.  However we use legacy ATX software frequently and ATX says that Win 10 and ATX are compatible to 2011. We have current cases back10 years. For our practice that is a non starter. Also I have had minor glitches with both operating systems in the past year. Not being an IT person I cannot run two operating systems nor afford duplication of equipment. i would really like to replace some of my computers and change to Win 10 but the down side of legacy software incompatibility is very concerning. 

8 hours ago, cbslee said:

This not a slam dunk decision. There are many many tech articles out there delineating multiple problems with Win 10 updates since last spring.

You can choose to ignore those problems,  but lets's not pretend that Win 10 is trouble free and the best invention since sliced bread!

In fact, a recent Win 10 update had no new features, but was devoted to fixing 77 known problems created by previous Win 10 updates !

I think it is a slam dunk decision.  Problems yes, as you said latest update fixed.  Buying W7 on new computer is absurd.  Hanging on with it on an old computer is ok.  Buying new with W7, sheesh.  All the techies in the world aren't going to outthink Microsoft.