ATX Community

Hot Tub with Prescription

peggysioux5

If it's a real prescription from a real doctor, why not?  I've heard of people needing heat to help stiff joints, and people needing water to exercise without weight or for resistance.  Facts and circumstances, always.

If you have a reason to suspect the prescription is valid, that's different.

3 hours ago, peggysioux5 said:

Taxpayer purchased hot tub mid-2018.  Taxpayer obtained a prescription for hot tub in October 2018. 

I think the timing is a problem. It gives the distinct impression that the prescription was written as a favor to a client.

• Like 2

I just went through this a few years ago.  My research said hot tub cost less increase in value to property equaled medical deduction.  But most R/E sites were ambiguous as to value increase,  more than a few said a hot tub devalues property.  The client ;got an opinion letter from a R/E appraiser that backs up devaluation.  We used the full cost and never heard a word - Rx & appraisal were at the ready should it have been questioned.

FWIW Rheumatoid arthritis, and client (100K+ income) says she would be on disability without it

(After re-reading, my client got the Rx first.)

• Like 1

I had a client purchased a walk in tub for some $15,000 referencing his wife's medical condition. With no few reservations I showed the purchase as medical equipment and even though having a prescription from his gp told him if questioned he would likely owe additional tax. To my relief he never heard a peep from the Service. My experience has been the Service does not challenge old folks medical costs and I have seen some whoppers over the years.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 9:54 PM, cbslee said:

I think the timing is a problem. It gives the distinct impression that the prescription was written as a favor to a client.

Maybe not.  It could have been recommended verbally - and then followed up with the prescription later.  Or an original prescription was lost and they requested a replacement.

• Like 1