ATX Community

self employed health insurance

Tracy Lee

I'm trying to get Line 29 Self Employed health insurance deduction to populate from the worksheet it takes me to.  The worksheet is filled out and shows the deduction on line 17,  but it is not flowing thru.  This is a client with a K1 from his own S Corp, but the business name is not flowing forward either so I can populate it on the Business 1 line at the top.  Is this stopping it from flowing thru?

Can I just override the worksheet and just put the deduction straight on line 29 directly?  I really don't prefer to do it this way because I want to use the data from the worksheet the correct way. 

This data entry is very tricky indeed.  I always have to pull away the cobwebs from last year to remember how I did it before.

After I've enter everything I think should be enough, the business name never shows up in the "choose the business under which the plan is established" list. Then, on the K-1 schedule data entry, in the DETAIL tab, Box 12, letter S, "amounts paid for medical insurance," when I enter the SE health insurance amount again here, this seems to illuminate the business name in the Line 29, Sch 1 worksheet of the 1040.

image.png

This was very helpful. Thanks for the visual!  I can see that it did increase the refund and it flowed thru to the Input sheet as well, this allowed the drop down bar to show for the business on the worksheet, which I still had to manually put the amount on line 1.  The amount is not showing up on line 29 on Schedule 1.  Hmmmm....What am I missing or where do I go to actually see the credit?