ATX Community

8606 still not fixed or not working

WITAXLADY

I have done the nondeductible trad IRA's before into ROTH's and no issues - I cannot get the form to calculate correctly!!

I am very leery of putting thru a 8606 with it taxable and then subtracting it on line 21!!!

ATX - what gives?

Forum - am I really doing something really different this year?

thx d

1099R with code R in box 7 is a 2017 contribution recharacterized in 2018.  It is not reported on the 2018 return.  It should have been addressed on the 2017 return:  attach a statement to your return explaining the recharacterization. If it was a ROTH to Traditional, then the nondeductible contribution would have been reported on the 8606 for 2017.

See form 8606 instructions: 

IF it is a 2018 contribution recharacterized in 2018 then it would be code N.  That would be reported on the 2018 return  Form 1040 4a.

keep in mind that it is not reported on the 2018 return

If you had included the non-deductible contribution on the 8606 for 2017, you want to remove it

Guess you should amend the 2017 8606 to correct it and include the statement that the 2017 contribution was recharacterized .  There is a page for the explanation. see tab at the bottom of the 8606.

AND in response to the people who are complaining that the 8606 is not working... you just have to make sure you have the correct boxes checked on the 1099R and the top part of the 8606.  IF it dosn't look correct, look for another box to check.

My stumbling block was always when they have a traditional IRA with a basis and an inherited one-  to keep the inherited one out of the calculation.  Finally figured it out:  for the inherited one:  check inherited and do not check IRA. 

• Thanks 2