ATX Community

NT-Shredder Requirements from new Pub 1345

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I was looking for a new shredder that cuts to their requirements and I've only found ones that are over $1K. The shredder that I am using cuts what I think are insanely small pieces, but not close enough, I guess. Has anyone else found anything more reasonable. I guess I should wait until after 4/15, since I am looking at new backups, because my Carbonite expires on 4/19.

Thanks!

😡 Gah, what next!  There's always burn or mulch too.  One more great reason to go totally paperless.

Maybe I'll offer my chips to my neighbor with the dirt farm that could churn it in with his used mushroom soil compost, and no one would touch it then.    :poop::poop::poop:

• Like 3

We use iDrive, where we can configure what backs up - including networked drives.  It also can (checkbox; simple) send you an email for any backup hiccup - which can be as little as one file not being accessible.  A colleague uses BackBlaze, and found out the hard way (drive failure) that it only send you error messages that backups have failed after TWO WEEKS of consistent failures.

From pub 1345:

Disposal of Taxpayer Information

After complying to records retention policies standards for retaining the required records (electronic and paper format) for the required period; taxpayer information and sensitive data files must be destroyed by properly shredding, burning, mulching, pulping, or pulverizing beyond recognition and reconstruction. Destroy paper using cross cut shredders which produce particles that are 1 mm x 5mm (0.04 in. x 0.2 in.) in size (or smaller) or pulverize/ disintegrate paper materials using disintegrator devices equipped with a 3/32 in. (2.4 mm) security screen.

Mine is a crosscut also that makes confetti, but it wouldn't meet the new requirement of the chip being 1mm or smaller in width.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Catherine said:

We use iDrive, where we can configure what backs up - including networked drives.  It also can (checkbox; simple) send you an email for any backup hiccup - which can be as little as one file not being accessible.  A colleague uses BackBlaze, and found out the hard way (drive failure) that it only send you error messages that backups have failed after TWO WEEKS of consistent failures.

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Carbonite doesn't backup ATX's default file locations. We use CrashPlanPro.

Thanks! That's why I'm looking at something new. They are trying to upsell me on a more expensive version that I still don't think will handle it. 

• Like 1