ATX Community

VA returns line 11: state/local tax

Hahn1040

Is it just me or what???

In the several days from the time I sent the completed forms to a client and he sent back his signed forms, the figure on line 11 had changed.

This is the amount of state taxes that is subtracted from the total itemized deductions.  "back in the day" it was (with some exceptions) the amount of state tax from the federal Schedule A.  This year, with the $10,000 cap, Virginia is using a prorated calculation for the figure.  It is not a calculation that I can see, so I don't know what has changed about it.  The new figure is to the advantage of the taxpayer.  so that is a good thing

But my concern is:  is this something ATX changed or did Virginia change the calculation?  Am I safe to go with it or is it a mistake that they will adjust in another day or so.

I experimented on my own return:  marked it complete; opened the return the figure was $3,812.  closed it ; unmarked complete; opened it again now it says $2,576

UGH!!

Does this make all of the returns I already filed incorrect?

Has anyone seen any info about this?

I see in the forms update report that this was changed with Version 76.

Wonder what day that was??

When did VA revise the form vs when ATX made the update???

BE SURE TO check your figures for all Virginia returns with Schedule A that you had sent to clients or have printed a few days ago.  Your tax may have changed with this revision.

Look for another post that we were discussing that VA was not ready to accept returns. Finally in February, the governor signed the law and made changes. Those changes affected all returns and for sure the ones with Schedule C.  I am not sure if that's the situation you are experiencing but you should take a look.