ATX Community

Tennessee Estimates

mwrightea

5 hours ago, mwrightea said:

My clients owe the Hall tax on interest & dividends for 2018, and ATX doesn't have any forms for 2019 estimated taxes for TN. So I guess my question is if they owe over a certain dollar amount does Tennessee require estimates? Sorry, for any confusion.

I have never been assessed a penalty as long as I pay by 4/15.  Also I have never known of a client being penalized if the tax is paid by 4/15.   I am not aware of any vouchers available to pay by check.  If your client wants to pay ahead, they can do so online, but our site is the WOAT (worst of all time) to navigate:

https://revenue.support.tn.gov/hc/en-us/articles/115005892446-How-do-I-submit-a-Hall-income-tax-estimated-payment-for-2018-

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

I have never been assessed a penalty as long as I pay by 4/15.  Also I have never known of a client being penalized if the tax is paid by 4/15.   I am not aware of any vouchers available to pay by check.  If your client wants to pay ahead, they can do so online, but our site is the WOAT (worst of all time) to navigate:

https://revenue.support.tn.gov/hc/en-us/articles/115005892446-How-do-I-submit-a-Hall-income-tax-estimated-payment-for-2018-

Rita, Thanks!  Your site can't be as bad as Colorado's it is so very bad...................😱

• Like 1

Why would you call it the Hall tax?  I know, I saw that is the name of the senator who started it, but is that official or just some Tennessee thing? Just had a client who now lives in TN.  Looked it up and see the Form is an individual income tax form.  So they do have an income tax, or at least limited.  If age 65 and income under their $37k amount, do I still have to file?  I see ATX is allowing efile of this form.

1 hour ago, Randall said:

And does the exemption amount of $37,000 include nontaxable Social Security?  The instructions say any and all sources.

Yes, income for this purpose does include nontaxable SS benefits.  It's called Hall Income Tax in honor of the senator who sponsored the legislation.  Don't do me any favors like that if I create a tax, just sayin.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, RitaB said:

Yes, income for this purpose does include nontaxable SS benefits.  It's called Hall Income Tax in honor of the senator who sponsored the legislation.  Don't do me any favors like that if I create a tax, just sayin.

Thanks Rita.  I thought so from the instructions but thanks for the confirmation.

• Like 1