ATX Community

ATX

Tracy Lee

I was right in the middle of a tax return and ATX shut down.  Now every time I open it I get this message ' An error was encountered while communicating with the ATX Server.  Would you like to retry'.  Which it won't let me do.  HMMMM what's going on? I don't have time for this darn it!  Is this just a glitch on their part after their update, is anyone else having this problem?

Is ATX an internet program, I thought it was a download to our computer program?

• Sad 1

I also just received this message.  I am on hold for tech support (over an hour wait).

I wonder if it has anything to do with the recent program update?

Is your software and where it backs up to all on the same drive?  ATX is on my c:/ drive but it backs up to a folder on my d:/ drive and I was wondering if that and the update dont get along well.

I work on the C Drive and ATX also backs up to the C Drive.  I do a backup of the whole program nightly to an external hard drive. I have closed the program up several times to no avail.  Strangely enough I was able to do some work in 2017 with no problem HMMMM can you post what customer service says after you get thru please? 

• Like 1

Thanks.  Shared screen with tech.  Program opened no problem and no error.  Weird.  I saved a log of the crash and they are looking it over.  

Really strange that it happened to myself and the OP at about the same time but now there is no error.  Im thinking its somehow on the ATX side and not me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tracy Lee said:

I work on the C Drive and ATX also backs up to the C Drive.  I do a backup of the whole program nightly to an external hard drive. I have closed the program up several times to no avail.  Strangely enough I was able to do some work in 2017 with no problem HMMMM can you post what customer service says after you get thru please? 

Will do.

Mine actually does that all the time.  I always have to close the program, and I often have to restart my machine.  The program has been kicking me out 5 or 6 times daily - randomly.  The other 3 users in my office (all with licenses, but the same software running off the same server) are NOT experiencing this.  Hmmm.

• Like 1

I have that problem when I begin a big print job.  For some reason it gets hung up.  I do get a message window and can close ATX myself.  I save, close return, exit ATX.  It's annoying but I've learned to print part of my print job at a time if I think it's a little too much.

3 hours ago, Randall said:

I have that problem when I begin a big print job.  For some reason it gets hung up.  I do get a message window and can close ATX myself.  I save, close return, exit ATX.  It's annoying but I've learned to print part of my print job at a time if I think it's a little too much.

Since 2013, ATX has tended to gradually fill up your print cache will misc garbage, until the program crashes.

For most part you can avoid this by keeping your print cache cleared.

50 minutes ago, cbslee said:

keeping your print cache cleared

Or just print everything to PDF. An added bonus is that you'll use less toner. When I printed a few forms directly from ATX, I noticed that everything was much darker and heavier than when I print from PDF.

Also, the PDF gives you a way to review what's going to print before you print it.

• Like 2

I cannot open a tax return in ATX.  The message that comes back is: "The program has encountered an unexpected error and needs to close."  I do this and close the program.  I then reopen it and get the same problem.  I have been having this problem for the last 2 hours with no solution.  I tried accessing the chat site and I cannot access that either.

My program is on a stand-alone computer used by me alone.

13 hours ago, Stephen Liebman said:

I cannot open a tax return in ATX.  The message that comes back is: "The program has encountered an unexpected error and needs to close."  I do this and close the program.  I then reopen it and get the same problem.  I have been having this problem for the last 2 hours with no solution.  I tried accessing the chat site and I cannot access that either.

My program is on a stand-alone computer used by me alone.

Try deleting the sfs.cache folder in your user folder under AppData (hidden) Local Temp. I have a shortcut to it on my desktop:

C:\Users\Abby Normal\AppData\Local\Temp\Sfs.Cache

another way of getting to the temp folder is hit the windows key + R. This will open the RUN box and you can type in "%temp%\Sfs.Cache" (without the quotes) and then hit enter that should take your right there and you can then delete the 2018 folder.

image.png.dea32195864ef25ae9b1849e8712051c.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

all of you who have problems for more than 30 minutes or a few hours after rebooting, you need to do one or both:

1.- Use your machine as a working tool not something that you use for facebook or for watching cool and funny videos.
2.- Buy a new computer with a decent amount of memory.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Down 1

6 hours ago, Pacun said:

all of you who have problems for more than 30 minutes or a few hours after rebooting, you need to do one or both:

1.- Use your machine as a working tool not something that you use for facebook or for watching cool and funny videos.
2.- Buy a new computer with a decent amount of memory.

3. Use efficient, well-supported software that doesn't require enough memory to launch a space shuttle :)

• Haha 5

10 hours ago, JohnH said:

3. Use efficient, well-supported software that doesn't require enough memory to launch a space shuttle :)

Yes, that's funny, but he's right.    I've been fairly fortunate this year, but every once in awhile I get that pain in the hip error message and I have thoughts of going somewhere else next year. 

But then it passes.

• Like 3

This did get me thinking as to the why so many of us put up with the dreaded error message.  As any of my Psycho Analyst clients would tell me,  (we do talk psych stuff once in awhile, after they pick my brain), it's the classic Love/Hate syndrome.   They would probably tell me, you need to pick one.  As with any relationship, if you can't deal with one, you have to leave.  Or, if you do put up with both, are you a martyr or nuts?

So you ask yourself, what will it be?  For me, as with any other relationship, love always seems to win out and I put up with the hate.  I guess I may be a martyr, or more likely, nuts.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FDNY said:

This did get me thinking as to the why so many of us put up with the dreaded error message.  As any of my Psycho Analyst clients would tell me,  (we do talk psych stuff once in awhile, after they pick my brain), it's the classic Love/Hate syndrome.   They would probably tell me, you need to pick one.  As with any relationship, if you can't deal with one, you have to leave.  Or, if you do put up with both, are you a martyr or nuts?

So you ask yourself, what will it be?  For me, as with any other relationship, love always seems to win out and I put up with the hate.  I guess I may be a martyr, or more likely, nuts.

That's too introspectve for me.  On to the next client !

• Haha 2

On 3/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, Randall said:

Close ATX before every big print job. I do this on my large returns because, even though I've never had it crash while printing, the printing is really slow on large returns if I've been working in ATX for awhile.