ATX Community

Remote or in office?

Margaret CPA in OH

Since it is about certifying identity and protecting against identity theft (my understanding), I always answer 'physically present' if I have seen the taxpayer at any time during the season.  I also answer 'physically present' if the individual dropped off tax information and my staff engaged with him/her.

Eager to know how others interpret this.  I was basing this decision on my assumption of what they were trying to accomplish with this field.

• Like 2

This must be an ATX thing. Drake doesn't have a question as such. However, the ID screen should suffice. If that person has shown you their ID then they are physically present and nothing else needs to be done. I am in NC and have a client in TX and other areas. I ask them to scan and fax, or via secure portal, to send me a copy of their picture ID. I mean what more can you do? Would I do this with a new client??? No, they would have to come to the office for signing, ID verification and pickup. I know one thing that is happening with my practice is that I am making it too easy for clients not to come to the office. There are pros and cons to this. Pro- I work from home and no-one uses the bathroom. Con - costing to much in postage to mail the returns and credit card fees over the phone are more. Okay this wasn't part of the OP and I am just rambling on.

6 minutes ago, Terry D said:

This must be an ATX thing. Drake doesn't have a question as such. However, the ID screen should suffice. If that person has shown you their ID then they are physically present and nothing else needs to be done. I am in NC and have a client in TX and other areas. I ask them to scan and fax, or via secure portal, to send me a copy of their picture ID. I mean what more can you do? Would I do this with a new client??? No, they would have to come to the office for signing, ID verification and pickup. I know one thing that is happening with my practice is that I am making it too easy for clients not to come to the office. There are pros and cons to this. Pro- I work from home and no-one uses the bathroom. Con - costing to much in postage to mail the returns and credit card fees over the phone are more. Okay this wasn't part of the OP and I am just rambling on.

I love it when people don't come to my office!  More time for me to prepare returns and fewer episodes of clients handing me one document at a time and saying 'this is my W2' after staring at it intensely for several seconds . . . it takes everything I have to be patient during these types of 'meetings'.  I send secure .pdf's to clients, and they scan the 8879 back to me.  Seems to work okay and no postage.  

Credit card fees . . . aaargh.  Sounds like a $10/return across the board fee increase to me!

• Like 3

Well there is one more advantage to them coming to the office, they eat the candy my wife provides which helps keep my waistline under control. Yeah, I hate the one at a time form thing. I guess they think we have never seen these forms before. Also, I like the ones that here's the pile, you'll know which forms you need. That usually follows with is there anything you think I'm missing or that maybe I didn't receive? Once again, I consult my crystal ball for guidance.

• Haha 3

I require that the first tax return I do for a client they come in and sign in front of me.   Or at least I get the interview done with them in front of me and they sign my engagement letter in front of me.   Once I know who they are, I sometimes never see them again in person.   I have a new client coming in Saturday because I insisted upon it.   It is a referral from a client that I don't see in person anymore, completely remote.   I am happy for the referral, but I asked the new client to come into the office for the first year return.   I will probably never see them again in person after this year, as they live about 2 hours away.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3

Terry, I provide Jolly Ranchers in my office, because I don't like hard candy. I never provide dark chocolate, because I'd eat it all.

But, I prefer clients NOT come to my office. I can work in my jammies and fuzzy slippers with no make-up. I can work late and maybe sleep late and not shower until I can take a break and comb my hair once in a while. I have FileShare on my website and eSign and a large mail slot in my front door.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

How do you all answer this question when the taxpayer has been in your office ("taxpayer physically present") but you prepared the return later ("remotely"?) when they weren't there? The question isn't worded well in ATX.  Just curious...

If they are at my office, regardless of if I see them, then I check "physically present".  The only ones I check "remote" for are the clients where everything is handled by email.

• Like 2