ATX Community

Error code: IND-162

Cathy

The "Reject Error Report" that comes back to you to tell you why said return is rejected stated:  "Thank you for using e-File."  Well, that's nice and all, however, I need to know what the heck IND-162 means.  IRS.gov doesn't know, goggle doesn't know....no-one seems to know!  Anyone?

Thanks!

Cathy

• 10 months later...

Hi Cathy i am getting the same message it is really annoying.  No one knows what is wrong.  I spent hours online chatting with an Agent and they gave me the generic run around.  They have no idea what is wrong and why it is happening.  They just say it is nothing to worry about.  However, i as like you am not happy getting this answer nor accepting all my returns like this.  let  me know if you find anything out and i will do the same. 

That error code IND-162 is related to the name control or the name being too long. This error can occur when the combination of the Taxpayer First Name, Taxpayer Last Name, Spouse First Name, and Spouse Last Name is too long.  Try shortening the name fields. The total number of allowable characters, including spaces and the & (ampersand), is 35 characters. The IRS validates SSN/Name Control based on the first four letters of the last name.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Five out of the last six returns I e-filed had the IND-162 message. Not all six. Nothing older than 3 May. All say

Form:

Code: IND-162

Taxing Authority: Federal

Explanation:

Thank you for using e-File.

Dependent Information:

/efile:Return/efile:ReturnHeader/efile:Filer/efile:PrimarySSN

Solution:

This is an informational alert issued by the IRS.