ATX Community

Dependent Checkbox in ATX

Crank

Just venting but who the heck thought up this question  AND who approved it!

"If someone can claim you as a dependent, do not check the box." 😖

Woulldnt it have been much clearer to just have a  box to check if you CAN be claimed as a dependent on someone else's return?

• Like 7

The decision of how to word things (assuming a programmer's decision) is the stuff I face daily.  If not something anyone can look at and state from only one (positive or negative) position, one cannot just use (what used to be) common sense.  Programmers have to look at the number of times a particular item causes support questions, multiplied by some in house factor relating to the number of people who had the same issue but never reported it.

For instance, despite having a watermark on our print preview images, we still get calls asking how to print the item without the watermark (select Print, not preview 😉).  Before the preview is shown, we show a dialog box - which the user has to close (stating the same thing, to have the actual report printed, to select Print, not preview) which one would think would prevent the need to ask the question...

• Like 3

The wording seems to be a left over from the way the old versions of the 1040. 

Here is the 2017 version of what the 1040 PDF had

image.png.2a8e440632e1bcebeba42e22aae7eab3.png

Here is a 2000 version of what the 1040 PDF had 

image.png.2dbf9fb43ace6ec494a10df91db2f243.png

So, look like ATX just kept the wording the IRS has been using despite, the IRS changing it this year on the form. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, SaraEA said:

Medlin, the problem is that many people don't read but just click and click.  I once had a colleague who wiped out Office because he was in a place in the computer he shouldn't have been in and didn't read, just clicked.

After more than 3 decades, the stories I could tell...  And interestingly, none would be topped by the stories I could tell of being a baseball umpire - since parents really act strange when they believe your actions or inactions have cost them the chance to be the parent of a pro.  (Don't get me wrong, there are many good/normal parents and players who made the avocation enjoyable, and interestingly enough, skill is only a small part of what it takes to make it to MLB as a player.)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Crank said:

Just venting but who the heck thought up this question  AND who approved it!

"If someone can claim you as a dependent, do not check the box." 😖

I seriously had to look at one forever last night and convince myself I knew what I was doing.  No, it's not the first time I've seen it this year.  And, yes, I do a double-take every time.  Every.  Time.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1