ATX Community

CA 540 CA Problem - anyone else?

BulldogTom

My client has a large charitable carryforward from 2017.   The deduction is limited again this year.   Everything on the federal schedule A is correct.   But the CA 540 CA Schedule is bringing the entire prior year carryover and not limiting it to the deductible amount.   Anyone else have this problem?   Anyone find a solution?   The software will not allow an override of that field.

The CA 540 CA was revamped this year, and I am sure there are not that many early returns with a limited charitable Carryover that is limited again.   These are the returns you get in late March and April.   

Thanks in advance.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Update - got an answer from support today.   Basically they say "Yes, there is a problem, no, we don't know how or when to fix it.".    Their solution:  Override the field (not possible, the field is locked), or extend and wait for a form update to come, which will not be before the end of the year.

There was a time, long long ago, when ATX actually had a support department.

Tom
Modesto, CA

53 minutes ago, joanmcq said:

Extend the return and blame the new tax law/programming issues because of new tax law/gov shutdown/etc. 

Done.   I spoke with the client, and because of the complexity of the return this year (sold a business, sold a rental, large charitable carryforwards) we decided that I would rather not do a messy looking adjustment on the 540 CA.   He completely understands and agrees with me.   I think he was more impressed that I knew this was wrong in the software than he was upset that we could not file quite yet.

Tom
Modesto, CA

20 hours ago, peggysioux5 said:

I am having the same issue in the Drake software for CA.  Odd that Drake and ATX has the same programming issue.

Peggy Sioux

Drake did a very large fix on today's update.  My problem was with the 3805V .  Rejected on Tuesday fixed today.  Many Ca fixes.

• 1 month later...