ATX Community

Occupational tax - Oregon W2

bbstacker

I have prepared a few Oregon tax returns but this is the first time I have run across a Box 14, Code V, Occupational tax.  I can find the definition of Occupational tax term, but have not been able to determine if it is potential tax deduction.  If it is a deduction, I believe it would a 2% itemized that is no longer available for federal but possibly for a state itemized deduction.  Oregon is not one of the states I prepare on a regular basis, it is a new client that moved from Oregon.

I appreciate your insight to the possible deduction.

I have been an accountant in Oregon since 1976 and I have never seen it before.

It might be related to a specific benefit for a civilian Federal Employee.

The codes for Box 14 are not standardized, you will probably have to ask your client to go back to their employer for an explanation.

It is probably the new Oregon transit tax.  should be coded STT. in box 14.  It is an Oregon tax deductible on Schedule A for federal but not Oregon.  It started in July of 2018

I don't input thru ATX on W-2 but put under state tax on line 15 (schedule A ) with Oregon as the state then it will flow correct on forms.

I have seen it show up several different places on the W-2.  it is .001 by gross wages starting July 1 working hours.

19 hours ago, cbslee said:

The Box 14 codes for the Oregon  Statewide Transit Tax are "STTW" for Statewide Transit Tax Wages

and "STTT" for Statewide Transit Tax Tax . I have seen a number of smaller businesses' W - 2's which show nothing in Box 14.

also big companies like Les Schwab Tire have ignored it. 

On 3/30/2019 at 1:01 PM, bbstacker said:

I appreciate your insight to the possible deduction.

The STTT tax is .1 % of wages paid after June 30 2018,  how does that compare to the amount shown in box 14?