ATX Community

1040X Return

Dan

Question:  How do you amend a 1040X return if the only change you are making is that you are changing someone can not claim you as a dependent to someone can claim you as a dependent?  On the original return you did not mark the box (someone can claim you as a dependent).  You should have marked the box but you didn't.  Where on Form 1040X does it give for changing the above question?   

I think you would bring up the 1040X then correct the box on 1040 info sheet.  This will produce a corrected 1040 that you can attach to the 1040X.

Of course in the explanation of changes area you tell them what you did. 

That checkbox is a real pain, something I check on each return.  Probably should be the other way around so you know to check if they are claimed elsewhere, that makes sense.

And don't forget to print in red on top of new 1040 "For Amended Return Purposes Only."

1 hour ago, DBerg said:

With the return that needs to be amended open, go to the Returns menu option and select Amend Return, it will then duplicate the return and put the word "(Amended)" in the name.

You can now save this new return, and complete as you need to complete

image.png.65ff5b3abc99f6d8ec27e4a2252bf6df.png

Here is the ATX knowledge base on this

https://support.cch.com/sfs/solution/000050876

I never use the amend feature because I don't want two data files where you run the risk that the wrong one gets rolled over next year. I think it was a poor design choice by ATX.

9 minutes ago, Abby Normal said:

I never use the amend feature because I don't want two data files where you run the risk that the wrong one gets rolled over next year. I think it was a poor design choice by ATX.

I didn't like it either for the same reason so in Return Mgr I put a big X in Client# column so I know which one to roll over next year. 

4 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I always use it and I don't mind the duplicate. 99.99% of the time, it wouldn't matter which one is rolled over, at least on my practice.

19 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

I agree, never use it and like to keep a file as "originally filed" if I ever need to refer back to it.

On 4/4/2019 at 12:22 PM, DANRVAN said:

I agree, never use it and like to keep a file as "originally filed" if I ever need to refer back to it.

That's one more reason to use the "duplicate return" choice from the "file" pull down menu. By doing that, you leave the original filing intact. This is what you can do if having two returns causes you confusion:

1. Open the original return which is name John Smith.
2. Pull down the file menu and select amend return. This will create Copy 1 John Smith
3. close both returns and rename John Smith to "John Smith Original" and the other you can rename it "John Smith Amended"
4. Open the "John Smith Amended" return and make your changes. 
5. Next Year roll John Smith Amended. Once you have in ATX2019, rename it to John Smith to avoid future confusion. I do rename after the roll over because I don't want to think that we have amended in future years. 

I know that some of you create a PDF of the original return, which is a good idea but I don't do that. The above instructions always work for me. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Pacun said:

That's one more reason to use the "duplicate return" choice from the "file" pull down menu. By doing that, you leave the original filing intact. This is what you can do if having two returns causes you confusion:

1. Open the original return which is name John Smith.
2. Pull down the file menu and select amend return. This will create Copy 1 John Smith
3. close both returns and rename John Smith to "John Smith Original" and the other you can rename it "John Smith Amended"
4. Open the "John Smith Amended" return and make your changes. 
5. Next Year roll John Smith Amended. Once you have in ATX2019, rename it to John Smith to avoid future confusion. I do rename after the roll over because I don't want to think that we have amended in future years. 

I know that some of you create a PDF of the original return, which is a good idea but I don't do that. The above instructions always work for me. 

I use exactly the same process.

If you're a one person shop, you can (almost) guarantee that you'll rename both files, so if you see original in the name of a rolled over client, you'll know you have the wrong file. But when you have 10 people doing this, the risk is too high for me to take.

I had one preparer tell me they were halfway through a return before they realized the wrong one was rolled over, and they had to start over.