ATX Community

ACA, PTC, and AOTC

jasdlm

Client's 19 year old daughter was not going to go to school.  Got a low paying part-time job, and signed up for marketplace insurance (on her own).  Decided she was going to go to school, and went full-time in the fall of 2018.  Lived with Mom all year, made $8,000, and Mom paid tuition.  Daughter got PTC.  Mom had insurance through marketplace, but did not take PTC b/c thought she would be filing single with no dependents and wouldn't qualify.  Mom paid more than 50% of daughter's support.

Question is this:  Now that daughter is clearly a dependent of Mom for 2018 (full-time student for 5 months), can I legitimately add Mom's premium and daughter's premium together, and add the 2 SLCSP premiums together, to calculate repayment (if any) of PTC collected by daughter?  ATX won't let me add more than 1 8962.  Mom w/ daughter is at 357% of poverty level.

Thanks.  Never had a situation before where a dependent got his/her own insurance on marketplace.

Oooops . . . and daughter qualifies for AOTC, so the premium credit (more than what was calculated for daughter on the 8962) combined with the AOTC, allow for a large refund for Mom.   I just want to make sure this all passes the smell test.