ATX Community

Incorrect SS# on W-2

cred65

On 4/5/2019 at 12:22 PM, Abby Normal said:

Just file it. The IRS doesn't get around to matching until November at the earliest. I just checked wage transcripts the other day and they were still blank. The shutdown really screwed everything up.

Case in point: Several years ago while changing payroll software I transposed 2 digits in the SSN of the office manager of my 2nd largest write up client.

She didn't notice and I didn't catch it for 2 years. I filed the corrected W-2s for 2 years. She never received a letter from the IRS or the ODR regarding the wrong SSN.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Max W said:

As long as the last 4 digits of the SSN (and the first 4 letters of the last name) are correct, you should be able to Efile.  If these do not match the IRS/SS records it will be rejected.  Then you can paper file.

The IRS only checks employer EIN when you efile. The only issue will be down the road if the IRS can't get the W2 onto the taxpayer's account. But even then, will the IRS question a W2 on the return that isn't in the account?