ATX Community

Bonus depreciation on garage

I'm afraid I'm losing my mind and it's entirely possible I am but if anyone can give me an answer off the top of their head, I would appreciate it.

I have a landscaping client who paid $30K cash last year (cash was proceeds from sale of gifted house/property)  to construct a garage at his home that is dedicated to storing his mowers, blowers, trailers, and whatever else he uses.   He told me he wanted to write off the entire building for 2018.  I told him he couldn't because it's 39 yr non residential property.  He told me his father put up a building and his accountant let him write it off.  I said "your father is a farmer so he can.  You're a landscaper so you can't."

He was in today to pick up and told me his buddy who goes to a big high priced local CPA firm put up a $60K garage last year and they wrote off 100% of it.  

I'm doubting myself because it's late in my hardest tax season in 30 years and I'm tired.   But I think I'm right. 

What say the rest of you?