ATX Community

Hang in there, everyone!

jklcpa

I hope you all are feeling and doing well going into the last day!

For me, the last of the extensions are filed and only one client coming tomorrow. It was another wild week and I've been working into the wee hours each night to make up as much of the time lost to the flu as I could, and I'm just so relieved to have completed all that I did!  I have more extensions than I'd like, but about 1/2 of those do still owe me information so I'm not complaining.

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Yes, hang in there!  It will be tough for me to get to my office tomorrow as I'd have to cross the "battle lines" as the Colonials chase the Red Coats back to Boston from Concord.  So I'll work from home until (I think) the convoy has passed and the roads are open again.

Remember, extensions are our FRIENDS!  I refuse to half-kill myself for some nervous nelly client who only got me their papers last week (and are probably missing half of them).

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I'm in a good place too.  Same two clients every year will call me and tell me the same story about how time got away from them and please send in an extension.  Luckily  for them they always pay what was due last year.  And I don't mind charging extra.  

Yesterday I washed out the garage of all the winter salt, cleaned out the junk and tinkered with a bicycle, all while listening to classic rock.  That really felt good.  Later this morning I will watch the Boston Marathon while I do a little carb loading to keep my energy level up.

This is a happy day for us.

• Like 5

I will hustle a little more today, but mostly all my ducks are in a row. More extensions than I want, but I took a page from Catherine's book and just straight up told the late ones. 

Tomorrow, I will renew my driver's license and Wednesday I will be lovin' on my grandson in DE for the rest of the week. 

I told my extensions I will see them when I'm sober, probably May 1st. 

😃

I was only half kidding.... 

You guys and gals are truly the best~ Thanks for another season~ God Bless Y'all~

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

It's 10:00 am on the 15th.  I just now came in and double-checked my extensions to be sure all the bases are covered.  There's one guy I haven't heard from, and he always owes.  If he calls before I go home I'll fill out an extension.  If I don't hear from him today I'll assume he's either he's doing it himself, has gone somewhere else, or is going to owe penalties.  (His problem, not mine.)

Will be working on 1st quarter payroll reports the rest of the day, except for a side trip to CarMax to take another look at a car I'm thinking of buying.  The plan is to head home by 5:00 pm.  All in all, not a bad way to spend the 15th.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, JohnH said:

It's 10:00 am on the 15th.  I just now came in and double-checked my extensions to be sure all the bases are covered.  There's one guy I haven't heard from, and he always owes.  If he calls before I go home I'll fill out an extension.  If I don't hear from him today I'll assume he's either he's doing it himself, has gone somewhere else, or is going to owe penalties.  (His problem, not mine.)

Will be working on 1st quarter payroll reports the rest of the day, except for a side trip to CarMax to take another look at a car I'm thinking of buying.  The plan is to head home by 5:00 pm.  All in all, not a bad way to spend the 15th.

Same here; going to work on payroll today; already double-checked extensions; somebody faxed in their 88's last night; last guy came in and picked up just now.

Funny thing happened this week - 180 degree opposing perceptions I guess.  Guy brought in his big case pile of junk, proudly says "Here is it!"  I say "I'll have to get you an extension; this is Wednesday - the deadline's Monday." We both stare strangely at each other - he's thinking (I think) "Well, you've got at least FOUR DAYS to do it!"  I'm thinking "I've only got FOUR DAYS to do all this crap." He accepts it grumpily and shuffles out; probably miffed at the lousy service.  

What a profession - if I had it to do over again I should have majored in psychology - got to be less stress.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I just sent a return that was on extension but is short and easy and I wasn't as tired as I thought so did one more. I have a ton of extensions accepted. But, I have some new CA clients that I don't know their info to e-file CA extensions, and at least one of them has owed CA the last couple years. Trying to reach them and prior, retired preparer who "gave" them to me. Hubby is out mailing our IL extension with a check (IL won't let NR do either of those electronically).

Might throw in a load of laundry or might do very little after I work out the CA situation. I need to package up a bunch of folders to mail to remote clients; I let them stack up for the last week or so. Then it's a bunch of doctor appointments I postpone until after tax season and weekly PT for my replaced hip and payroll taxes and I'm a liturgical assistant on Easter so have readings to prepare.

Maybe even get out to see my toddler granddaughter. But, back to work on those extensions, because sometime from Memorial Day to very early July we have two new grandbabies arriving, one in CT and one in PA; so obviously I'll take time off then. I hope to get most of the clients that are griping about being on extension prepared before the babies arrive.

• Like 2

I caught up (somewhat) on church bookkeeping this morning.  Gonna take a walk before the afternoon rain comes through, then toss in a load of laundry.  Not going near the office today.  They've moved up the Patriot's Day parade so crossing that street to *get* to my office would be dicey at best.  And we had a 2-hour power outage early when the first set of rains came through, so I'll double-check for any clocks I missed fixing earlier.

Everyone is on extension; if they missed it, it's not because we didn't try to get through to them and that is NOT our problem

• Like 1

I finally got my last extension out. I finished up several returns today and actually finished more than last season on the 15th. Considering how late my clients were coming in, I'm pretty happy. I really thought that I had lost a bunch, because they were so late, but I only lost a couple of kids to free file.  Now I have to hustle to get out the quarterly taxes and some income taxes that I promised, because I'm leaving for Scotland with my son and his fiance for a few days on the 28th. Thanks to all of you that are so gracious and helpful. I could not do this job without the people on this board. All of my friends that started out with me in this field have either quit and gone to another career, retired or died. I hope that I can stick it out until I'm 70 or win the lottery. I hope that everyone has a great summer!

Bonnie

• Like 4