ATX Community

New Desktop Needed for Next Tax Season

ETax847

I’m also planning to replace my five year old HP desktop running Windows 8.1.   I guess Windows 10 is in my future like it or not.  My wife had a lot of issues with Windows 10 but that was 3 or 4 years ago.  You can get a lot of computer for the money in a desktop.  She recently went overboard with a HP Omen gaming desktop.  Very fast and powerful (and looks bad ass, even if somewhat juvenile) but cost around $1800.

If you have an AMEX card, they will run offers on Dell products during the year.   Last year, I was able to score a 10% credit on the purchase of my laptop and desktop computers, after I beat up Dell to get the price I was happy with.   If you are signed up to see your AMEX account online, there are always offers at the bottom of the page.   You just add the offer to your card that you will use to make the purchase, and a couple days after the charge to Dell goes through, the credit shows up on your card.   

My Dells are pretty awesome.   Hope to keep them for 5 years.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 3

I’ve always been happy with my desktop Dells, while not being a computer techie, I’ll get the latest with as much Ram and speed available as I keep them until old operating system loses support.  My current one is an i7 that is 6 years old, fast and never a problem.  I always buy them striped of bells and whistles and just use for work.   The only thing I will now include is an SSD as Abby recommends.   So I will be getting a new one this year with Win10, and looking forward to, as Bulldog said, “beating them up over price.”

Now if I can only find my AMEX card, I’ll be golden.

• Like 2

I'm also in the market for a new Dell.  I currently have the T1700 desktop running 8.1 pro.  It's been a workhorse through four tax seasons but it's time for something new.   I've always had very good luck negotiating deals through Dell's "Chat" option and I'll go that route again.  It seems those representatives are very eager to deal.  That's been my experience, anyway. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great info. My Dell is old and was going to replace it last November or so, but replaced my hip instead. I've had issues with this Dell which Dell sent to replace an earlier Dell that had huge issues. I might go with HP this time. One of my techies likes HP. But, I'm not in a rush to replace, still lots of extended returns to prepare. Please, all of you continue to post your research, prices, decisions, etc., for me and any other tech-challenged preparers to learn from during the off season.

• Like 3

My choice since 2003 has been custom built by my computer guy nearby.  He has built the last 3 with upgrades in between and an annual 'spa' treatment.  Because he knows exactly what the components are, he can trouble shoot in a heartbeat although issues have been extremely rare.  There is no bloatware or other crap, just what I want and need.  When he does remote in, he knows exactly what to look for and where to find it.

We are discussing whether to go to Win 10 or not next year.  Support for 7 pro is still available for 3 more years but I am familiar with 10 on my Surface Pro so undecided for now. I would not have an off the shelf computer again for business. YMMV

• Like 2