ATX Community

Estimated payments automated after efiling?

Margaret CPA in OH

Client told me during return prep that he wanted to make estimated payments online.  He meant direct debit but did not confirm that payment page in the pdf copy which clearly indicates payments to be made online or paper check and the bank information below for direct debit is blank.  So he will now pay first quarter through IRS online direct payment and we will probably do annuallized income on 2210 for 2019.

However, he wants to know if he can now set up direct debit for the remaining payments.  I can only imagine through his bank and schedule them but don't know if there can be correct 'memo' info included.  Any other ideas? Is it possible to created a 'return' for just estimated payments?

Thanks, Lion.  That's where I sent him to make this one. Perhaps he will see that option but I will let him know.

Communication - I specifically state to 'confirm bank accounts and payment options' in my cover email for the pdf returns.  Alas, like my engagement letter and cover letter for same, it seems the eyes glaze over or get misty and ignoring text prevails.

• Like 2

When we have a tax return picked up we explain the signature pages and have the client sign.  One of the pages verifies their bank info.  We have them initial by the account number and sign and date at the bottom.  Had a lady who is separated from her husband.  His account was listed on her return.  Her $800 refund went into his account and he will not give it to her.  He is due a $1200 refund.  She was really upset with us and wanted us to list her account on his return or call the IRS and have them take it back out of his account.  She did sign the form verifying the account.

• Like 2

My state (Louisiana ) allowed me to schedule the full year's estimated tax payments for 2019.  I tried to do that on irs direct pay but they only allow you to set up a direct debit via direct pay 30 days in advance of the payment.  So, I've paid my 2018 taxes and my 4/15 estimated.  Sometime after 5/15 I will schedule the 6/15 estimated tax payment.

4 hours ago, Margaret CPA in OH said:

However, he wants to know if he can now set up direct debit for the remaining payments.  I can only imagine through his bank and schedule them but don't know if there can be correct 'memo' info included.  Any other ideas?

EFTPS allows for scheduling up to all 4 quarterly payments ahead, and can be changed or cancelled if the taxpayer's situation changes.

• Like 1

The client does not owe state estimates so no worries there.  He could not find it possible to list future estimated IRS payments until 30 days prior to due date.

This and most of my clients are pdf via electronic methods only hence my instructions in a single highlighted sentence to confirm payment methods and bank accounts.  I will in the future, however, include those pages to be initialed/signed and dated and returned along with the 8879. Thanks for that idea, Bart.  Then again, this is the first time in over 20 years to have such an issue so may not be a huge worry going forward.

• Like 1