ATX Community

IL Property tax notices for IDR??

artp

I have already had 8 clients who have gotten notices that IL could not verify property tax for 2018 and they are requesting proof - copy of bill and payment.  The parcel # is clearly shown on the return. Never had a problem in prior years. Anyone else getting a rash of these notices?

I have heard IL started mailing these notices this year, but have not had a client report receiving one, yet. Some of the triggers mentioned were not taking the homeowners exemption or instances where the property is held in trust, or where a home was purchased/sold during the year.

• 2 weeks later...

I just talked with an IL auditor today regarding this issue.  She said that this is the first year they are comparing via computer the amount listed on the return with the amount posted by the county treasurer under the PIN number listed, because the Dept of Rev suspected widesread fraud in this area.  She admitted that real estate tax prepayments and additional real estate paid at closing on the sale of a house will all cause the return to be computer flagged and a deficiency letter sent.  Just about every IL client that sold their IL personal residence during 2018 has received a letter asking for payment verification which requires sending in the tax bills and the pertinent page from the closing statement.

• Thanks 1