ATX Community

NT-Idrive advice for dummies

NECPA in NEBRASKA

I just signed up for Idrive and it is slowly doing it's thing. At least I hope that I have it setup correctly. They offered to send my a drive to have them upload my data faster. I personally don't like the idea, of mailing it even thought it's encrypted by Symantec and I have a different encryption key for Idrive. Am I too paranoid? When I turn off my computer, won't the backup just start up where it stopped? My Carbonite will expire and then I will just delete it.

Thanks!

I lean towards over the top.  What I mean is for backups out of my control, such as third party online, I only backup copies of my self made encrypted backups.  This way, if the third party does get hacked, and someone figures out a way to break their encryption, they would have to then break my encryption.  The idea is not to be the low hanging fruit.

Just as important, after completing your first backup with a new system (and periodically going forward), try restoring the backup.  This will show you any missing items, or missing instructions you need to have.  There is no point spending time on a backup if you are not certain you can restore from it...

• Like 3