ATX Community

ATX vx Pro Series

Yardley CPA

Can some of the Pro Series users please provide pros and cons when comparing that program to ATX.  I've read through some of the strings in the Pro Series forum on this page and it seems the current users are very happy with what Pro Series offers.  Many moons ago, the firm I worked for used pro series and I recall it as  a reliable and robust program, but that goes back 25 years or so.   

Does anyone use their portal?  How does that stack up?

Been using ProSeries (PS) since 1997.. starting using it just for 1040s and in some years after that was using ATX for 1065s, 1120s, 1120Ss. I never had  comfort level with ATX back then. It was explained to me that ATX then was basically built upon a giant Excel sheet.. I don't know if it still that way.  At some point I switched all my returns to ProSeries.  I like how PS to me mirrors the 1040, with drill down, quick zooms to the backup or underlying form or schedule.  I started doing returns manually in the mid 1990s, went to Parsons Personal Tax Edge, Preparers edition and Intuit bough them out.  That is how I started using PS.  Parsons and PS were very much alike in the flow if input and the layout, forms based. PS has a another way to enter data but I use the forms method. I use the PS Professional version.  PS has a basic edition but I think more users use the Professional version.  Price has been going up and up but discounts can be garnered with some effort.  In a effort to conquer ATX users Intuit gave three year discounted prices when ATX had that big problem a number of years ago.  

This 2018 tax year PS had some issues, the biggest one was some printing crashes.  The program would crash sometimes.  Printing to pdf first seemed to solve it for most people but I think it is fixed now and PS says it was a Windows issue. Even after a Windows update, some crashes still took place but a lot less I think. 

I like PS.. not perfect but it has allowed me to grow my practice nicely and I know the software quite well to navigate quickly.  I find PS to be very intuitive  (get it?) intuitive.. 

• Like 1

I used ATX through 2012, when ProSeries offered me a great deal to switch.  I did not have as many problems with ATX as some people did that year, but since we rum in a networked environment, I had enough.  With any new program, there us a learning curve and conversions have to be watched closely. 

I was not as happy with PS this year as I was last year.  Mostly due to the lateness of changes, perhaps, but it seemed like the state programs were not as seamless as they have been in the past.  I had problems with the system crashing every time I tried to print a return, and wound up sending it to PDF and printing from there.  Not a big deal, but not necessary.  The billing component of PS also dd not work the way it had in the past - I marked for returns to be charged by the form and that worked for new clients, but on returning clients I had to select that for each client. 

That said, e-filing seems to generally be a bit better with ProSeries, particularly with VA.  Some forms that PS is approved for e-filing with VA, ATX was not in the past.  I am not sure if that is still the case.  ProSeries is more expensive, and tends to charge separately for things that ATX bundles into the MAX package. 

I can't really compare support, because I don't tend to use support very much with either program. 

• Thanks 1