ATX Community

K1 input

Tracy Lee

I'm entering a K1 1065 but can't seem to find a place to put ALL my data from Part 2  E, F, G,H, I, J, K, L,M  of a K1 statement. I did call ATX and they told me to check mark the calculate basis limitation box, which I did, but it still doesn't allow me to put all the data in there.  ATX said it wasn't necessary?  And does the Nonrecourse section that shows columns 2017 Sch K1 Item K and 2018 Sch K-1, item K, is that the same as the beginning and ending on a K1 statement?  Sure wish I could enter the data and actually see a K1 form match the clients form so I know I did it right.  Is there something I'm missing here?

Sections E and F need no separate input; they'd simply better be identical to your client's information.  Section G essentially shows whether you're inputting a general partner -- check the box -- or not.  Pray you have a "domestic" Section H partner, else you're in Masters in Taxation territory.  Section I simply should be matched to a Form 1040, 1041, 1065, 1120(x), etc. type of client.  Section J is input only in state K-1 input forms, as I recall -- e.g., New Jersey, New York, some others -- but a huge swing up or down might signal additional Schedule D or other Schedule consequences.  If the K-1 shows a Yes in Section M, input might be required in Gain Recognzed on Appreciated Property.  Basis Limitation input takes ending balances from Section K.  Section L amounts are input in the respective Increases/Decreases parts of the Basis Limitation half of the Input Sheet.
Whether it's all "necessary" or not, I seriously doubt that anyone reachable at ATX's phone or chat would know the half of it -- but CCH publishes the commendable Practical Guide to Partnerships and LLCs, and you wouldn't go wrong following its teachings.  (In the still-turbulent wake of TCJA 2017, I hope it's humanly possible to get an 8th edition soon.)

• Like 2

on the k-1 (1065) at the bottom there are tabs - input, detail, allowed amounts and carryover, and PTP. I enter the k-1 info on the 'input' tab which when you click on 'calculate basis' the basis section opens at the bottom of the page.  The other tabs do not have a calculate basis section .  Hope this helps.