ATX Community

ATX Renewal

rscpa

So i received a call from my rep this past Friday, and she wanted to know if I was going to renew for 2019.  i asked if CCH was going to fix the 199A calculation.  She asked, what do you mean?  I told her that I find it ridiculous that the calc isn't automatic.  You already have all of my information for performing the calc.  you have the income, you have the retirement info, the SE calc, the fixed assets info.  She said no one else had complained about the calc not being automatic. I said I find that hard to believe. You must have more types of clients that it pertains to.   She said I could upgrade to Advantage to get the advance calculations.  I said you are out of your mind that I would pay about $2400 more to upgrade to something I mostly do not need.

I told her that beside the 199a calc, your phone system is completely unacceptable!  I was on hold for 2 hours 38 minutes just to get a rep to unhang two efiles that would not go thru.  Please tell me that others have voiced that concern also and she said yes.  So basically I am paying you to cause me frustration.  Nothing that they will work on it.... just nothing 

I told her Drake could perform the calc and they answer their phones.  Her response was are you sure Drake does that?  Not we are addressing it, but poo pooing the competition.  I kid you not she was writing down the 199a calc to ask about why ATX wouldn't perform the calc and to see if it is going to in the future.  

She is supposed to call me back next week.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Tax Prep by Deb said:

First year Drake user and even when ATX offered me a terrific deal I will not go back until Drake gives me a reason to!  I just don't see that happening.  Their support cannot be beat, their product performs for all my needs, and their price is something I can afford!

Emailed Drake support on a California problem.  Had a response in less than 5  minutes with a temporary fix until they could update the software the next day.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, JRS said:

Emailed Drake support on a California problem.  Had a response in less than 5  minutes with a temporary fix until they could update the software the next day.

The last 2 or 3 years with ATX, when I had problems with the efiling of Oregon Business returns due to software glitches, I would get a response in 2 or 3 days

and a fix in a week. What would upset me the most was, they would never acknowledge that a problem even existed and they would never let me know when it was fixed.

All of a sudden after a week or so of waiting the problem would magically go away and I could efile. 

• Like 3

ATX is poor at communicating. They tell me they make too many changes to communicate all of them. 🐮:poop: They already have a release notes page. Just have some low level person post as many updates as they can every day. I spend half of tax season discovering new features, sometimes by accident, and I wonder what else is there that I've missed.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

You can add Drake Accounting for an additional $100, which does do 1099s.

However for this tax season Drake did not do bulk efiling of 1099s like ATX Payroll Compliance.

You needed to have a TCC code to submit your 1099s to the FIRE system.

Supposedly bulk efiling of the 94x s and 1099s for next tax season is under active consideration.

3 hours ago, BrentCPA said:

Not to bump an old thread, but after WK decided security was only important on our end I think I am ready to move on.  Does Drake do 1099s at all?

As far as security with Drake, the company has set up the multi-factor authentication (MFA) that is available but optional for this year and is supposed to be required next year.  It requires the user to set up an app on a phone or tablet and within the system, and then scan a QR barcode from the computer's screen using the camera function. 

One thing I'd like to see changed is for the log out time for inactivity to be lengthened. As it is now, I get logged out frequently during the day for things like phone calls or using other programs where I may be summarizing some of the tax data or creating a document for attachment.  When doing so, I like to leave that client's return open in Drake so that the program continues to track the accumulated time worked on that return for me. 

53 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

As far as security with Drake, the company has set up the multi-factor authentication (MFA) that is available but optional for this year and is supposed to be required next year.  It requires the user to set up an app on a phone or tablet and within the system, and then scan a QR barcode from the computer's screen using the camera function. 

One thing I'd like to see changed is for the log out time for inactivity to be lengthened. As it is now, I get logged out frequently during the day for things like phone calls or using other programs where I may be summarizing some of the tax data or creating a document for attachment.  When doing so, I like to leave that client's return open in Drake so that the program continues to track the accumulated time worked on that return for me. 

I don't even have a camera on my computer and don't want one. I hope that they all don't go to this for login. I don't know what I will do, because I am really trying to get ready to retire and am in no place to learn new software. This whole thing makes me sick, but it affected even their expensive programs and there are not many options besides Drake and Lacerte.

4 hours ago, NECPA in NEBRASKA said:

I don't even have a camera on my computer and don't want one. I hope that they all don't go to this for login. I don't know what I will do, because I am really trying to get ready to retire and am in no place to learn new software. This whole thing makes me sick, but it affected even their expensive programs and there are not many options besides Drake and Lacerte.

The QR code box appears on the desktop or laptop running the Drake software, and then the phone or tablet's camera is used in conjunction with the MFA app to authenticate the user trying to log in is who they say they are.  It's similar to how financial sites and other secure sites will text a code to a cell phone that the user enters as part of the log in process.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It seems to me that the texting of a onetime 8 digit mixed number and letter password would be sufficient !

Having their app on my smart phone just creates another weak point especially since security on smart phones basically sucks !

All of these methods are just security theater and can be hacked. The one I think is best is the authenticator apps. I have google authenticator on my phone and use it for google and 2 other sites. But I'm sure it can be hacked too.

There's a movement to get away from passwords and go to authenticator devices that you plug into a usb port. Just don't lose your device!

https://www.pcmag.com/commentary/364693/why-passwords-might-finally-go-away

• Like 2

I think I posted something similar to what I'm about to say on another thread, but here goes anyhow.  I've never thought it is worth saving the equivalent of a couple of tax return fees in return for being tied to an unproven product.  Once you're committed, there's a strong bias against making a change even if the vendor shows signs of serious last-minute problems.  It's also important to have a standby product already in mind just in case.

Sure am glad I was following this policy when the 2012 debacle reared its ugly head.  I just jumped to Drake (my pre-determined standby), and found it so good that I never looked back. For me, Drake is far superior to ATX and I should have made the move much earlier than I did.  

However, even though I have an extremely high level of confidence & trust in Drake, I don't take advantage of their discount either.  Maintaining flexibility right up to the last minute has monetary value to me.  

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this thread back up for a variety of issues - (1) has anyone been able to EF 2017?  (I have not).  (2) I efiled a 2016 days ago and it is still at transferred to agency, awaiting ACK.  Anyone else have better success with this?  I have gone to EF status page on their support site; no news.  (3) has anyone else been able to communicate with your ATX rep regarding renewing for 2019?  I've sent mine an email and left a voicemail message - no response yet.  (My rep is Aaron Seiffert; last I heard from him was late April when they invited me to switch to ATX Access - I declined).  (4) For those who have renewed were you able to secure a better discount than the 10% offered on my renewal invoice?

• Like 1

Lynn, I have not been able to efile 2017 and I am getting very worried. I did renew and did not get a better discount than 10% from my rep. I can't remember his name and will have to look it up. I don't know how other people on FB have been getting larger discounts. My rep was not having any of my reasons, but I did drop down from Total Office to MAX and saved some money. The idea of switching programs when I am trying to count down to getting away from this much stress fills me with dread, but I am really starting to worry about what really happened at WK, since they have pretty much stopped communicating. I am very frustrated that 2017 efile is not back up when many of us still have those returns to file. I guess I would call the regular sales number and tell them that your rep is not returning your messages.

• Like 3

Usually the only way to get a significant discount in any negotiation is being willing to walk away (or at least convincing the other party you're prepared to do that).

Maybe I'm naive, but if 2017 e-file isn't available for any reason, what's the problem with paper filing?  It isn't as though the client is in a hurry to get it done...  :)  (But I do understand the overall concern extends beyond simply getting the return filed)

• Like 1

JohnH, the client for which I need to EF 2017 IS in a hurry to EF that year’s return as she needs a transcript for that year for her son’s FAFSA application. Admittedly she is tardy on filing that year, owes $ to the IRS and state, and had to collect the funds for my fees. The return languished on my completed, waiting for pickup shelf for several weeks until she could pay me. Now that my fees are paid and EF forms are signed I cannot EF until ATX gets its act in gear. If I am not able to EF by Tuesday next week I will contact the client and ask her if she wants to wait for EF top reopen or paper file.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

The program is the same whether you buy Max or Total Office. Even Advantage is the same with just some added functionality.

I meant by switching to Drake or something else. I know that I am pretty much just giving up Paperless Plus, which I didn't use anyway. I know how ATX works and like the input. I don't want to have to learn new methods at my age. 😀

• Like 2

JohnH, my clients need their 2017 return filed as quickly as possible for FAFSA. They didn't bring in their 2017 info until late April and they have two headed to college now, so they are pretty desparate to get their transcript. I also have a state ACK that I can't pick up since 2017 efile is still down.  I have several old returns that need to be filed for many reasons and I prefer efile since most of them have money coming back.

• Like 2

On ‎5‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 2:04 PM, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

Bumping this thread back up for a variety of issues - (1) has anyone been able to EF 2017?  (I have not).  (2) I efiled a 2016 days ago and it is still at transferred to agency, awaiting ACK.  Anyone else have better success with this?  I have gone to EF status page on their support site; no news.  (3) has anyone else been able to communicate with your ATX rep regarding renewing for 2019?  I've sent mine an email and left a voicemail message - no response yet.  (My rep is Aaron Seiffert; last I heard from him was late April when they invited me to switch to ATX Access - I declined).  (4) For those who have renewed were you able to secure a better discount than the 10% offered on my renewal invoice?

Lynn,

I was just wondering if you had been able to get your 2016-2017 returns through yet?  I will have a 2018 ready to send Monday so was worried about whether the current year is still working at ATX.  Don't want to send something in and have it just hung up indefinitely, of course.