ATX Community

ATX Renewal

rscpa

On 5/24/2019 at 8:21 AM, Lynn EA USTCP in Louisiana said:

JohnH, the client for which I need to EF 2017 IS in a hurry to EF that year’s return as she needs a transcript for that year for her son’s FAFSA application. Admittedly she is tardy on filing that year, owes $ to the IRS and state, and had to collect the funds for my fees. The return languished on my completed, waiting for pickup shelf for several weeks until she could pay me. Now that my fees are paid and EF forms are signed I cannot EF until ATX gets its act in gear. If I am not able to EF by Tuesday next week I will contact the client and ask her if she wants to wait for EF top reopen or paper file.

Yes, I assumed you and NECPA both had good reasons.  The clients don't have a good reason, but you're both kind and considerate enough to be concerned about them in spite of their inaction.  That's admirable (and of course good business practice with profitable clients). In other situations, it sometimes takes a two-by-four to the head to get some clients to be more considerate. This business is all about making those distinctions, isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would be remiss if I didn't relate this to all of you.  I did get a call from my rep yesterday.  While over the last few weeks I was seriously considering going to Drake after a road test because I had a few issues this year, although not so terrible to impact my business.  I related those issues to my rep who quite aptly wrote everything down and said all the other reps are referring these concerns to management to improve their product.  Yes, I know, what else would he say as a good salesman, but it gave me some comfort that maybe I was helping in some way.  I have been with ATX since '96, and can remember joking about the weather in Caribou, so as I could easily move to Drake, it would break my heart....knowing I would miss the easy interface I have become so accustomed to.  I even did a Beta test one year that I considered an honor to be included.

As John H said, you have to be ready to book.....I was, as I thought their price increase to be out of line, considering what has happened this year.  Other than the program problems, the breach could have happened to anyone, their communication with customers was unacceptable and totally inconsiderate.  I would never ever do that to my clients.

So, with that being said, I told my rep I didn't think the price increase was fair.  I said I would not pay more than last year.  He then started to negotiate and we agreed on a $48 dollar increase if management would agree.  He asked me to hold.....went for a quick smoke and came back and said he got the OK. 

All in all, being with the company this long, I think it is important that we still support them, there is much of the product we like, and some things we dislike, so we should try to help them bring it back to its original prominence among its peers.  I don't want to see them fail, none of us should.  They need help, and they are crying out for us to be there for them, they just don't know how to ask or say it.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

19 hours ago, JohnH said:

...In other situations, it sometimes takes a two-by-four to the head to get some clients to be more considerate. This business is all about making those distinctions, isn't it?

Why, certainly not, John.  You're too hard on your clients.  I sent out several messages, calls/voicemails, a letter, etc. for a client for 1&1/2 months and she finally graced us with a call yesterday (almost didn't answer-thought it was another damned Google telemarketer).  Said she'd have called earlier, but "you wouldn't believe" how much trouble they had endured since somebody stole their debit card info, plus Block gouged them horribly last year, plus this, that, and yak-yak-yak.  Yes I would because (1) I've had a credit card stolen (2) when they (late-season price shoppers) first came in, hubby said "All I've got is a W-2." Then she drove us crazy for two weeks calling and adding entities/businesses. 

Then; they vanished for 45 days.  I've got more bad news for them; their Block experience is getting a rerun. 

What a business!  I should have (after ruling out brain surgeon) gone to barber school.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, JohnH said:

Bart:  If you'd gone to barber school you'd have become an instant tax expert without having to learn all those pesky details of actual return preparation.  

I don't need to go - we do taxes for a hairdresser in the building and she gave me this hot tip two months ago:

HD: Hey; you haven't been giving me my car expenses!

BB: Huh?

HD: Angie over at Kut 'N' Kurl says her tax guy fixes hers so she doesn't owe much at all; he says all businesses can take off 10,000 miles.

BB: No kidding. Who's her tax guy?

HD: Actually he's not a tax guy - he works at the transmission factory, but Angie says he's real smart and balances his own checkbook.

BB:  Well, that nails down his credentials.

HD: What?

BB: Never mind; how much driving do you do? 

HD: Well, I drive back and forth from the house every day; and then we go to Memphis for beauty supplies once a year.

BB: About the commuting...say, by the way, how far away is home?

HD: About a mile that way.

BB: Uh-huh.  And you go to Memphis to buy supplies?

HD: Well, not exactly, but sort of.  Once a year me and her and two other girls go to Wolf Chase Mall and the restaurants - can you believe a Margarita is ten dollars at Red Lobster? - and make a day of it.  Then we stop at the beauty supply store on the way out of town.

BB: And how far is it?

HD: A little over 140 miles round trip. 

BB: So you drive 140 miles every year for that?

HD: Not every year.  We take turns and that way everybody only has to drive her car every fourth year.

BB: Any other driving?

HD: Two or three times a year I drive across town for older ladies who can't make it to the shop. Oh, and I did one at the funeral home.

BB: Well, you've certainly built a compelling case for car expenses and we'll be sure to take off something for them next time!

HD: Thanks so much!

• Haha 5