ATX Community

Estimated tax payments

Lily

I use ATX to efile estimated tax payments (Federal, State, and Local).  Recently, I'm getting lots of notices, this is an example from IRS: "You made a payment of $xxx on March 15, 2019, and we can't determine the correct form or tax year to apply it to."  State and Local tax departments sometimes send similar notices, sometimes they just issue a refund check.

Has anyone came across similar situations?  It's hard to make clients to pay for estimated taxes themselves (whether electronically or with payment vouchers).  So I'm relying heavily on ATX...

2 hours ago, Lily said:

I use ATX to efile estimated tax payments (Federal, State, and Local).  Recently, I'm getting lots of notices, this is an example from IRS: "You made a payment of $xxx on March 15, 2019, and we can't determine the correct form or tax year to apply it to."  State and Local tax departments sometimes send similar notices, sometimes they just issue a refund check.

What do you mean by "using ATX to efile estimated tax payments?  Electronically through the 1040ES payment option?  Is that what you're referring to?  I have several clients who pay estimates using this method and I've never had an issue or know of ever receiving this type of notice.  We include the clients banking information on the 1040ES payment form and the payments are automatically pulled on their due dates. That option has worked well...except for when a payment needs to be cancelled.  That could be an issue.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Yardley CPA said:

What do you mean by "using ATX to efile estimated tax payments?  Electronically through the 1040ES payment option?  Is that what you're referring to?  I have several clients who pay estimates using this method and I've never had an issue or know of ever receiving this type of notice.  We include the clients banking information on the 1040ES payment form and the payments are automatically pulled on their due dates. That option has worked well...except for when a payment needs to be cancelled.  That could be an issue.  

Yes, 1040ES, 1120W, and NYS-400/NYC-400.  The problem only started sometime in 2018, and is getting worse in 2019.

Then I would call in to ATX, maybe there is some synchronization (for lack of a technical term)  that has to be fixed.   Sounds like the transmitted estimates are the problem, but what do I know.  Give them a call, they have nothing to do now other than hounding you for a renewal.  Good luck.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3