ATX Community

Practice Management Software

JJStephens

Through the years I've dabbled with several practice management/project management software packages but typically find that they create more work than they save. Within days/weeks I find myself backsliding to using my Outlook calendar and sticky notes. I'm a small shop--just me and a couple part-timers who work remotely. We do basic books/payroll, tax prep and startup consulting, mostly for non-profits. I don't need a super high-end package (with a high end price)--just something to help me monitor workflows and deadlines.

I'm back checking out options again and wonder if any of you have found something you couldn't live without...or perhaps have a suggestion of something to not waste time looking at.

We just use a work-in-progress spreadsheet I set up years ago, and free online booking for clients that syncs with our goggle (sic) calendars.  It is not an "elegant" solution - but it works for us, and it's free.  For years it was just me, now it's me, my assistant, and my two partners.  The one big change we had to make for the partners is change some of our spreadsheet color-coding to accommodate the red-green color blindness of one partner!

I've tried several going back to ACT! but as you've found they tend to be more work than reward. For at least 95% of my schedule I use GMAIL calendar thru Thunderbird. It's ultra easy to use their "repeat" feature to automatically trickle my contacts and work flow each month or week. Plus Gmail is free and ultra easy to sync with my phone for quick viewing.

I don't have the work in process issue so much but when that's in play during tax season I use a notebook or I just put in a "to do" for tomorrow to accomplish the rest of the task with a note. On my calendar I have a few "to do" for each day of the year pretty much scheduled out forever based upon different re-occurrence schedules.

• Like 3

We used to have spreadsheets but then realized the ATX Return Manager was essentially a spreadsheet so we've incorporated columns to handle most of our work-in-progress tracking. It needs refinement now that we have 4 preparers but it's adequate. For fiscal year due date tracking I just have a sticky note (StikyNot.exe) on one of my monitors. We could use some improvement on due date tracking.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SaraEA said:

gmail is hosted and sponsored by Google.  Don't they read your emails so they can target ads?  I'd be suspicious of using a "free" service because you're paying with access to your content.

Just wondering, what browser and search engine do you use ? 🤔

• Like 1

On 5/5/2019 at 8:13 PM, SaraEA said:

gmail is hosted and sponsored by Google.  Don't they read your emails so they can target ads?  I'd be suspicious of using a "free" service because you're paying with access to your content.

Do you pay hard cash for everything? Your credit card / debit card number is being used to monitor and record your purchase history for future advertising by the bank itself and at many retailers. Ever sign up for the discount card at Walgreens or the grocery store - yep. Which operating system are you using on your computers? Hope it's not MS or Apple. Do you have a cell phone? Apple and Android (Google) are monitoring all of your activity and unless you take action could even be monitoring your location at all times.

Microsoft and Apple always know when you are at your desk because they monitor when you log in and log out or time out of their software.

• Like 3