ATX Community

Practice Management Nowhere

BLACK BART

The guys below have sure got their ACT together on practice management, but I cain't seem to get beyond the basics.  My secretary (wife) will say "If you don't sort through that junk and come up with a tax return in three more days, Btfsplk's Garage is gonna kick your ACT!"  So my program goes into action:

1. Scan the Post-It notes stuck around the rim of my computer monitor.

2. All notes are prioritized in order of importance (for example-first on the list might be "See Buffett" or "Call Gates"). 

3. Begin top-left and go clockwise, look across to top-right, then down to screen bottom, back across to left, then up again to top-left checking for something actionable (McDonald's/Bacon-Egg Biscuit" gets a lot of attention).  Some notes, the sticky part wears out and they fall off, but tech support advised Scotch tape and that fixed that.  On a fair day two returns will get done and hopefully all by October 15th.

It used to be simpler but the funeral home quit handing out their big block appointment calendars (unless you die).  I've upgraded and got a wide-screen monitor (holds more Post-Its).  If it gets too crowded, I'll buy a second (need one for Solitaire anyway; I hate for a client to catch me playin' that when I'm supposed to be on their case). :rolleyes:

Simplify! Simplify! - THOREAU

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Bart: You failed to mention the "Take Nap"  note.  (Actually, I should say "notes" because I keep several for morning, noon, and afternoon stuck at various places on my monitor and also in the bathroom/library).  But being as well organized as you are, I'm sure you have them up there.  

• Like 4

Hi John - well, I couldn't exactly claim to be well organized since lately I make a note to make a note.  But naps are on automatic pilot - a couple of years ago my age (never mind what) made me start nodding off after lunch and drowsing fitfully 'til 2 or 3 -- but I can do it sitting up in the tall-back office chair (looks like I'm awake). 

The last fail-safe of my system is an EWCPA (Early Warning Client Proximity Alert) mechanism (bought a magnetic breaker system for the front door from a traveling salesman 20 years ago).  It makes a clang a bit less than a Chinese emperor's gong when somebody pulls the doorknob.  Then I can quickly grab a pencil, junior legal pad, and start scribbling.

Regards, BB

• Like 3
  • Haha 4