ATX Community

ATX Website Crash?

RichRhodesEA

This is from Walters Kluwers facebook:

"Since yesterday, May 6, we are experiencing network and service interruptions affecting certain Wolters Kluwer platforms and applications. Out of an abundance of caution, we proactively took offline a number of other applications and immediately began our investigation and remediation efforts. The secure use of our products and services is our top priority. We have been able to restore network and services for a number - but not all - of our systems. We are still investigating the root cause of the interruptions with assistance from third-party consultants. At this time, there is no indication that our customers’ data has been compromised. It is part of our ongoing and thorough investigation. We appreciate your understanding as we work to resolve this issue."

Apparently there is speculation on Reddit that this is a Malware issue.

• Thanks 1

I wonder if the bad guys have figured out that going after us preparers is not going to get as much data for fraud as going after the software companies.    Imagine the havoc they could do with all of our combined client info, not just one or two of us.

I really think this hacking and stealing is going to break the tax system.   The internet is not secure enough for the number of transactions that we MUST process over it.   In the rush to find cost savings, security of the data has not been kept up.   Now all these entities that only do business over the internet are scrambling to keep up, but the bad guys keep one step ahead of them.

Tom
Modesto, CA

Update 3:23PM: Reddit user Jluvs2dive reports that two employees at their firm received an email from a Wolters Kluwer address that includes a malicious link. The email was reportedly sent from a user named "Tammy" with a Wolters Kluwer email address.

Could be totally unrelated... or not.

I haven't been able to e-file for 2 days now. I'm getting concerned because it looks like ATX appears to have a major problem! If they have been compromised, this can set off a firestorm that could even put OUR clients in serious jeopardy!! All these tax software companies better invest in state-of-the-art, cutting-edge encryption software (preferably quantum cryptography)  that will never let the hackers decipher the data. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Tax Cowgirl said:

How long do they plan to be down? I have over 40 extensions which I need to get done.

Is anyone  planning to switch to a new program? This is not good.

What tax programs are still up and running? 

I also use TAXWARE Systems, they are up and running and are desktop based, i am very happy with them. 

My computer tech is a security guru, worked for one security company and recruited to another. I sent him the krebson story and will get back when he responds. He has never liked ATX!!

He does have alot of things on my system so I have a level of confidence that he has me protected. I will know better when he does some digging. 

Information on Wolters Kluwer Network and Service Interruptions

Dear Customer,

As you have noticed, certain Wolters Kluwer platforms and applications have been experiencing service interruptions since Monday. We want to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. Through this email, we want to inform you about what happened. 

On Monday May 6, we started seeing technical anomalies in a number of our platforms and applications. Our team immediately started investigating and discovered the installation of malware. As a precaution, in parallel, we decided to take a broader range of platforms and applications offline. With this action, we aimed to quickly limit the impact this malware could have had, giving us the opportunity to investigate the issue with assistance from third-party forensics consultants and work on a solution. Unfortunately, this impacted our communication channels and limited our ability to share updates. On May 7, we were able to restore service to a number of applications and platforms. 

While taking our services offline was precautionary, we wanted to act quickly to protect our applications. We regret any inconvenience and that we were unable to share more information initially, as our focus was on investigation and restoring services as quickly as possible for our customers. 

We have seen no evidence that customer data was taken or that there was a breach of confidentiality of that data. Also, there is no reason to believe that our customers have been infected through our platforms and applications. Our investigation is ongoing. 

We understand that you may have additional questions or remarks. Please feel free to contact your account manager, check the Wolters Kluwer News page for updates or contact Support at 800-930-1753.

The Wolters Kluwer Team

• Like 1