ATX Community

1040X

BKG

I have a new client who needs to have 1040X and 540X filed for both federal and California State. Do I need to first input the data in Forms 1040 and 540 and then carry it over? Or is there a way to input directly to forms 1040X and 540X? I am using ATX and there is no form 540-X coming up. Please help. Thanks.

On 5/24/2019 at 7:19 PM, BKG said:

I have a new client who needs to have 1040X and 540X filed for both federal and California State. Do I need to first input the data in Forms 1040 and 540 and then carry it over? Or is there a way to input directly to forms 1040X and 540X? I am using ATX and there is no form 540-X coming up. Please help. Thanks.

When I have this situation, I enter the return as filed in ATX, and then do the amended.   I name the original return "client prepared".

Tom
Modesto, CA

Sometimes, it's hard to create an incorrect return. I go for easy. If the original return is not in my software:

Create the return as it should be, as if it's the original return and not an amendment.

When I have the return the way it should be, I call up the X forms (I've done this at Block, with ATX, and with ProSystem fx, but ATX was a long time ago).

When your software asks you if you want to transfer the data to "Column C," say NO or check/uncheck the box or however your software works to keep your data as amended now.

Then you just have to type into "Column A" the amounts from the client's original return and add the explanation.

This is often a whole lot easier than trying to recreate your client's original return in your software, especially if he had errors. And, it's easier for me to proofread the return I'm creating as if it's an original return, then turn it into an amendment. I can follow the flow better.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/26/2019 at 7:47 AM, BulldogTom said:

When I have this situation, I enter the return as filed in ATX, and then do the amended.   I name the original return "client prepared".

Tom
Modesto, CA

Thank you

I think I said something above backwards. Your software, when asking it to amend, will suggest putting your data in Column A. You need to say no in whatever way your software requires. You want your data in Column C. Then you type the client's data into Column A. Easy to do; hard to explain!

• Like 1

Just had a terrifying thought:  What are 2018 1040Xs going to look like?  With all those schedules that somehow total onto the 1040 page 2, where you might change one entry that gets added to three others, how the heck will we explain what changed?  Or recognize what changed? One change can trigger changes in NIIT,  QBI. SE, a million other things--all neatly added together on this line or that.  Is the 1040X going to be six pages long (each with three columns) like the 1040?  I used to look at the X line by line to recognize what I had to enter as an explanation and what schedules to attach.  Now I might just let the IRS figure it out.

• Like 4