ATX Community

Shopping for Drake? - member testimonials and comments

jklcpa

Two replies so far in response that have been copied from the original topic are:

From @JohnH :

When shopping, try Drake.  You'll find it lightning fast and customer support is unbeatable. There's a learning curve, but nowhere near as bad as some will claim.  All  you need to do is be willing to break a few time-wasting habits, forget some bells & whistles,  and really focus on efficiency.

From @Tax Prep by Deb :

Also take advantage of their trainning.  They give you sample returns and then the completed returns.  I started playing around with it in October and felt pretty prepared to start January.  I love it now!  And as was stated, support is good.  I had an issue relating to the portal.  The guy I spoke with was not able to figure it out but said he would research it and get back to me.  In the meantime I found a work around.  Didn't hear back until 3 weeks later.  I thought I was not going to hear back but I did

Edited by jklcpa
added tags
  • Like 1

• jklcpa changed the title to Shopping for Drake? - member testimonials and comments
  • jklcpa pinned this topic

In the past, they have also given - free - prior-year full function programs in case you want to run some previously-done returns of your own.  That was super-helpful to me when I switched.  Plus, when I later had a new client with many years' unfiled returns, I was able to get ALL the prior year programs for those returns for free.  I will note that was a few years ago; don't know if their policies have changed at all since then.

• Like 1

I switched early in 2013 when ATX reworked the 2012 program and haven't looked back.

Some of the reasons I like Drake, not in any particular order:

• program speed
  • update speed
  • flawless backup
  • ease of integration with document manager
  • macros
  • price
  • exceptional customer service
  • user forum with knowledgeable, helpful, supportive members

I'd suggest to anyone thinking of switching that you try to attend one of the company's presentations and obtain a trial version of the software.  The trial version I received was a full working copy of the prior year with the exception that e-filing was disabled. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Catherine said:

In the past, they have also given - free - prior-year full function programs in case you want to run some previously-done returns of your own.  That was super-helpful to me when I switched.  Plus, when I later had a new client with many years' unfiled returns, I was able to get ALL the prior year programs for those returns for free.  I will note that was a few years ago; don't know if their policies have changed at all since then.

Policy is the same.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, jklcpa said:

I switched early in 2013 when ATX reworked the 2012 program and haven't looked back.

Some of the reasons I like Drake, not in any particular order:

• program speed
  • update speed
  • flawless backup
  • ease of integration with document manager
  • macros
  • price
  • exceptional customer service
  • user forum with knowledgeable, helpful, supportive members

I'd suggest to anyone thinking of switching that you try to attend one of the company's presentations and obtain a trial version of the software.  The trial version I received was a full working copy of the prior year with the exception that e-filing was disabled. 

Totally agree!  I did attend one of their presentations and was totally impressed!  I had previously obtain a trial version of the software and didn't like it much, but after attending the presentation and having the ability to ask questions and see live demonstrations I was sold! 

• Like 1

I have to jump in this thread. I too made the switch but not until 2015 and don't regret it one bit. Also, Drake has not increased prices since I have been with them and the early discount is awesome. Already renewed again this year before May 31 to save the 400.00. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

If you're new to Drake, one thing I'd strongly recommend against is using their portal.  They made some changes to it over the last year that have made it unbearable.

Some of the issues:  the files don't always correctly show if they've been downloaded by you or the client, you don't always get emails letting you know that your client uploaded a file (which is quite a big deal unless you make a habit of going in and checking every client folder on an ongoing basis), an interface that is lacking (in my opinion), and it requires 2FA on every single log-in, which is crazy to me!  It's not even tax season and there are days I have to do 10-20 2FAs from the same computer, same browser, even the same tab!  Unacceptable.  My most secure banking accounts only require it once from a browser.  They don't let you turn 2FA off or lengthen your timeout setting either. 

But the phone support is nice.  It's pretty amazing in 2021 to get a live rep on the phone when you call.

3 hours ago, Franklin said:

it requires 2FA on every single log-in, which is crazy to me!  It's not even tax season and there are days I have to do 10-20 2FAs from the same computer, same browser, even the same tab!  Unacceptable. 

This is a requirement of the IRS that the authentication must occur each time a connection to the software is made, so this isn't a problem or limitation specific to Drake.  Once logged out of the software or portal, Drake has no way of knowing that it is you again on the other end of the process without you providing all of the log in credentials including the username, password, and the MFA code. It has been optional for the last 2 years and is now a requirement for this year.

• Like 1

I have had no problem getting email notifications for downloads or uploads.  Might want to. Heck your spam folder.  What I have found is the need to refresh the page sometimes as it seems to get stuck and not showing something has been downloaded.  Overall I am happy with the changes, just takes some getting use to.

• 2 years later...

I am attempting to switch to Drake, currently. However, with the Demo version I am struggling with worksheets  not exiling or flowing to where I think they should go. Goes back to what I have said for the last 20+ years. I know how to fill out the forms. I am having a problem with "worksheets". Do not know if I am going to be able to do this. Just turned 80 and pretty set in my ways :(

I had a bit of trouble with worksheets, too, when I started back in Feb 2013. Once you get the hang of it, they make a lot of sense. Use the search box in the lower left to go to the entry for any form you want, such as 8829 or Schedule E. That will bring you to the right entry page.

Yeah, the worksheets take some getting used to. I have been with Drake since the 2017 Tax Year and 2 or 3 times a year I have to call support because

I can't find something. Their diagnostic messages can be annoyingly detailed. However, I can honestly say I have never had an efile fail

once I cleared all the diagnostic messages!

• Like 1