ATX Community

Rant - IRS is a frikkin joke

BulldogTom

My client is under OIC consideration.   We sent the offer 12/27/18, got the confirmation letter 3/27/19.   Letter says they will respond by July 24.  This weekend, I get 8 letters for my client saying they are going to levy.   While you are under offer consideration, everything is supposed to stop.   So I try calling collections.   They are too busy to answer the phone.   So I call PPS.   They tell me they can't see anything on the record that shows we have an offer under consideration and I need to call the OIC folks.   I call them and they are too busy to answer the phone.

I am so sick and tired of these lazy (fill in the blank) never being able to do their job right.   And I don't care if they are overworked or underfunded or any of that other bullcrap they put out there for justification of not doing their job.   I don't have time to call them every single day until they decide to pick up the phone.   

It makes me feel like becoming a tax protester.

The IRS SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS! SUCKS!

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 6

Tom,

I completely understand your frustration. I hope you or your client mailed the offer via certified mail with a return receipt. Underfunded and understaffed is no excuse for incompetence. It goes beyond comprehension as to how and why the IRS and some States loose documents or claim they never got  them. I recently resolved and issue with NC where they claim a form was not included in the return. Totally impossible and I guess it fell off of some examiners desk. But.... they are never wrong and it is always what we or the taxpayer failed to do. Hang in there!

• Like 5

I have an offer number.   Someone forgot to enter that information on the client's account.   When the number was created, it should have been attached to the account.   Seems simple enough to me.   OK, someone messed up.   But when you call, and they won't take your call, and when you do get to someone, they say they can't help?   I could have faxed the official letter to PPS and they could have put a 30 day collection hold on the account while I tried to get to the right person to get them to do their job.   If I can't get someone at the OIC office to pick up the phone, I am going to have to go to TAS to get this taken care of.   And that will put extra work on TAS, which I guess is where we should start with every attempt to resolve an issue with the IRS.   Normal means of dispute resolution are just not working any more. 

I am going to go play softball tonight and try and work off this frustration.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 5

1 hour ago, cbslee said:

The IRS is underfunded, understaffed and probably won't be caught up until sometime next year.

It is what it is, work with it.

Hmmmm….I wonder if that will work with my client when they call me and say their account was swept by the IRS?

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 4

You may be overly concerned about your client being levied.   Levy letters are only of concern when the are the FINAL Notice of Intent to Levy.  

IRS letters have a code in the upper right corner.  Those with CP501, CP503 and CP504 are all levy notices, but the only one that matters is the Final Notice LT11  (sometimes 1058).  

LT11 is the Final Notice with 30 days to respond.  There is also a grace period of 10 days, but I find, in practice, it is usually several weeks.

• Like 2

The IRS doesn't have one giant computer that integrates all their systems. It would take untold billions to modernize and integrate their computer systems... and there would likely be even more problems than we have now.

Client just brought in a balance due notice even though the IRS has had the amended return for over 2 months. The computers just spit these letters out and our job is to let the client know that they don't need to worry. The IRS will have it sorted by year end (we hope).

• Like 1

2 hours hold time and counting.    I think I ought to get a Facebook account and live stream what I do while on hold for the IRS.   I bet it would be a big hit.   I could get my own YouTube channel and have people watch me play solitaire while holding for the IRS.    I am real good at solitaire.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, BulldogTom said:

Mine has a cord.   I am not fancy dancy like that.   Hoping this gets resolved soon or I may have a puddle under my chair.

Tom
Modesto, CA

I have had my assistant hold the phone while I duck in.  Instructions to get the agent's name and ID # written down.  Then I try to be REAL fast.  Never yet have they come on while I'm away.  Prevented a few puddles that way, though!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Max W said:

Tom, if you don't mind paying $49/m for this service, you can get calls through in minutes.  I have two friends that can attest to this, besides myself.

https://callenq.com

There is a free service that will call you back when they get the IRS on the line.  It is not as effective as the other.

https://gethuman.com/call-back/IRS

I don't do enough representation work to make it worth my while right now.   If I had to go through this every day, I would sign up.

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 2

When I took a representation course one of their piece of business management advice was to buy a cordless headset. That way you can move around your office building and do work while on hold with the IRS. I make the calls from my cell phone and a headphone jack. If worried about the "minutes", use an app to make VOIP calls only via your office wifi.

Another of their suggestions - always charge clients while on hold. ALWAYS. You often times can do double the work.

29 minutes ago, Roberts said:

If worried about the "minutes", use an app to make VOIP calls only via your office wifi.

Who has plans anymore that have minutes?   I have been on an unlimited plan for about 6 years.   I don't like to call on my cell because the quality of the connection sometimes suffers in my office.   Kinda weird.   Good service most places, but not my office.   It is OK, but not great.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

• Like 1

On 6/5/2019 at 12:51 PM, BulldogTom said:

Who has plans anymore that have minutes?   I have been on an unlimited plan for about 6 years.   I don't like to call on my cell because the quality of the connection sometimes suffers in my office.   Kinda weird.   Good service most places, but not my office.   It is OK, but not great.   

Tom
Modesto, CA

I have to force my phone to use wifi at home due to bad reception. I just put the phone in airplane mode, then turn wifi on. Before I had this feature, I could barely text or call at home.

On 6/4/2019 at 5:33 PM, BulldogTom said:

I don't do enough representation work to make it worth my while right now.   If I had to go through this every day, I would sign up.

Tom
Modesto, CA

You can try the free one. I can't tell you much about it, except that you don't have to wait on hold.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Before I had this feature, I could barely text or call at home.

When I lived in Worcester, I had one spot out on my back porch with good cell phone reception (cell phone, not wifi - this pre-dates wifi!).  It was landline phone (including cordless) unless it was nice enough outside to stay in that one spot!  'Course, that was also in the days of getting charged per minute, too.