ATX Community

Preparing a few 1099s? Drake Accounting or online?

Anthony

Decided to make the leap from ATX MAX to Drake Unlimited. Any tips for what I should do to get a handful of 1099s (2-3 companies) prepared? Maybe I should have spent the extra $100 for Drake Accounting? I don't need accounting software, though, just to prepare a small number of 1099s. Does the IRS still accept paper 1099s/1096s? Office Depot for the red forms? Any free/cheap software that can print on them (don't have that typewriter any more!)? Bleh, I probably should have paid for Drake Accounting. Didn't realize it did 1099s. Maybe my best bet is to subcontract that handful of 1099s out to someone who has the software.

If you just have a few 1099s, use one of the many online programs that are available.

If you search the board you will find a thread from earlier this year  where posters recommend different online programs.

I used a program called OnlineFileTaxes.com, which was reasonably priced and worked well.

Drake Accounting requires you to obtain a TCC code from the IRS, so it's not as easy to use as ATX Payroll Compliance.

• Like 1

For just a few, yes use one of the online services.  Tenenz offers one.  I have used efilemyforms dot com very successfully for several years now.  If memory serves, it is $2.99 per form to efile each form (you get near-immediate pdf's of payer copy, payee copy, state copy, etc), and $3.49 to add in mailing to recipients.  You still get all the pdf's for your client who has to send the forms.  I charge per form sent, and I'll just say that it's substantially more than $3.49 (and the bump up in price to mail is less than the cost of my stamp, let alone special paper, special envelope, toner, and time).

11 minutes ago, Anthony said:

These prices are a lot less than I thought I would have to pay,

I feel bad (sometimes) charging $20-ish per form when I'm paying $2.99 - but then I'm still the one getting the questions, and inputting information - and nagging the clients, too.

• 2 months later...

Many of my clients owe 1099s only to me.  What do you guys do in these situations.  Do you tell them they need to do one?  Do you just do it for them?  I feel like these guys get kinda bent out of shape if I'm telling them to comply and its only me I'm charging them for.  When will the 1099 amount ever go up?

I use EFileMyForms dot com to send 1099s for clients.  They charge me $3 or $3.50 (efile only/efile-print-mail) and I charge my clients $20 to $25.  I do download all the pdfs and print the copies for my clients, plus re-send any where the person moved and didn't say anything.  Also some clients send us all the info and some have to be hounded and chased; that affects their rate from me!

• 4 months later...

I have used the eFileMyForms as well. But... if you do any payroll at all, Drake Accounting for $100.00 with the bundle can't be beat. I've been using it since 2018. Sometimes it is a bit quirky and a little tough to understand the navigation. But once you get it. Then no problems. Yes, it can be used for other accounting/books as well. So, its only use is not just payroll. I put a post on the Drake forum of how to get to the file needed to upload to accuwage thru BSO. The creation was fairly easy from within the software. The data path is a bit much. So if anyone needs that go look at it. Now that I know, it is a breeze. Also, found the stupid e3nc .txt file.