ATX Community

MICROSOFT WORD UPDATE.....(MAYBE)???

BLACK BART

I've been getting this persistent/insistent screen popup about four random times each day for a couple of weeks now:

An update for Microsoft Office Starter 2010 English is now available online.  Please remain connected to the internet for the duration of the update.  Do you wish to start downloading the update now?  OK___  Cancel____.

It doesn't look like the usual fake stuff and appears to be an actual Microsoft "Word" offering.  It has apparently anesthetized my Malwarebytes filter (if that's supposed to be preventing it).  I do have an old Word program on my older computer, but haven't bought anything from them in years and wonder why they are giving it to me.   

A friend told me that MS had come up with a Word program called "Ideas" which is supposed to help users with grammar, spelling, composition, and (unsurprisingly) strong hints on how to make writing/musing more "inclusive" which translates as (1) PC language (2) how not to hurt anybody's feelings (for your own "good" and, incidentally, that of the rest of the world).  Could that be what this is?

I'd like to know if others here have been getting the same thing and/or their "ideas" (pun intended) what it might be.  :scratch_head:

Thanks - BB

I agree with Catherine.  Word 2010 is still supported through Oct 2020 so you could also use the "check for updates" function from within the program too.

Other things to consider doing are:

• making sure your Malwarebytes is UTD**.
  • checking the Malwarebytes forum for this popup issue, and
  • possibly using the free MB service of working online with one of their techs for deeper scans and virus removal

** I had trouble last week where my AV program turned off MB's live online protection wouldn't turn back on, and one solution was to check for MB and install any available updates.  It's weird because I have mine set to give me a notice when a program update is available so that I can choose the install time, and an update was available but had no notification.  When I updated, some file didn't install properly and disabled the entire program so that I then ended up reinstalling via their helper "repair" program that saved my license, activation key, and logs automatically.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks all for the replies.  I don't blame the ladies for being suspicious (I was too), but I believe Abby has nailed it and it's the real MS McCoy.

5 hours ago, Abby Normal said:

Still; I don't want to go along peaceably.  Reading this link I get the idea "Ideas" is trying to herd me in a certain direction and if my friend's right about the (unmentioned) "inclusive language" part, everything will work out just fine (from their viewpoint).  But it seems like "Our way or the highway".  The message says:

(a) "If you click Cancel, the message continues to appear every time you restart your computer."  Well, shoot; I don't like that very much.

(b) "Office 2010 generates this Click to Run pop-up message. It can occur if Office 2010 is not up to date."    Must be a bad thing, but have lived with it so far--never been friended/unfriended/liked/unliked/no face in anybody's book, not a single tweet to my name.  I'm pretty sure un-updatedness  is survivable.

(c) "To resolve this issue, click OK to download and install the update."  I think this "resolution" lacks....mmm....resolution.  It's saying "Download these brussel sprouts (or else) and you'll soon be "writing right".  

(d) "...uninstall Office 2010. This will prevent these messages in the future."  Gosh; what a wonderful plan.  Sounds just like IRS: "Take it or leave it!"

Meanwhile, I'll continue to click "Cancel" until one of us gives up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1